Featured Henry VIII miniature painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by charlie cheswick, Mar 22, 2023.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Yeah I've had a few before painted on celluloid but not 100% painted, just highlighted painted touches on celluloid prints

Can't think what else it could be, defo not paper

2. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

A true masterpiece needs spunk and blood.

Maybe some crude compressed home made wood fibre/paper from the days when you couldn't just Bob down to the local art store.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Just seen that you already mentioned celluloid further up, I was somewhat late to the party :rolleyes::hilarious:

4. Chinoiserie

A lit match would be a good test

5. charlie cheswick

Hard as nails, whatever it is

Had about 3 ages of masking tape applied

Glad we agree it's got some age though

6. charlie cheswick

On celluloid ????? :jawdrop:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Chinoiserie

It's quite conclusive.

8. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

This is the origin of Henry's nick name, 'Old copper nose', though this wasn't for some reason ever used in his presence! :angelic::happy: The thin silver would wear down and the kings nose would show a coppery colour. hence the nick name.

I seem to recall however, that it was only a few of the mints that scrimped on the silver, and it was not officially done by the king, it was more probably the ever prudent Cardinal Wolsey's doing.

9. the blacksmith

The codpiece, which was normal wear, was suitably enlarged and prominent, as was quite normal for the period, to help portray an impressive, potent and powerful monarch. Though he was very probably impotent by this time, something that his lawyers and doctors went to great pains to try and point out wasn't in fact true during his divorce of Anne Boleyn and Anne of Cleves in 1535 and 1540, though probably few believed this, and by 1540 vastly overweight. His once famous shapely calf's were also swollen and ulcerated. So he admittedly cut a very different figure from that of his youth, and at the time of his death on 28th January 1547, he weighed in at about 28 stone (180 kgs.).
    He was however, a colossal figure of a man, 6' "2 tall (186cm), especially for the period. In that respect, it wasn't propaganda, and even today standing with his armour, one has a feeling of awe and trepidation. He must have been truly frightening to actually have met and stood before!

Henry VIII 1540.jpg

Henry VIII armour, Greenwich, 1540

10. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Holbein is as close to 16th century photography as we'll ever get-one of the best portraitists to have lived.Look closely at his painting of Saint/Sir Thomas More-'The Man For All Seasons' needed a shave when he sat.
    As 'Realism' (not chiaroscuro,etc) goes,I put him up there w/ Caravaggio & Vermeer.Just crisper-like a miraculous stenographer.

11. the blacksmith

Holbein's paintings are amazing, and the one of Sir Thomas More exquisitely so. However, I think that his sketches are out of this world. They display an absolute mastery of his craft. So simple, but, packed with detail.

This is the amazing portrait of More by Holbein the younger. Presumably painted while More was Chancellor of England, 1529-1532.

Sir Thomas More.jpg

12. the blacksmith

Here is Holbein's sketch for the above portrait....

Hans Holbein the Younger sir Thomas More (1).jpg

komokwa and charlie cheswick like this.
  13. bosko69

My favorite master Draftsmen-Pre-Historic Wall Drawings,Holbein,Watteau,Ingres,Degas.Spontaneous single shot masterpieces in charcoal,conte',pencil,chalk-not a whole lot of bread crumbs or erasers wasted.
    PS-There's more,but why bore all to tears.

14. bosko69

Enlarge the Holbein drawing,you see the tiny puncture marks (dots) on More's face-those holes dusted w/ a pounce pad transfer dry-powdered pigment of the basic drawing outline to the painting surface.

the blacksmith likes this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

funny how these folks look so real.....almost like we do today !!! ;););):wideyed:

16. bosko69

Komo-History's funny that way-it's Us ! I know the 50's seems ancient to me,and I was friggin' there !

17. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

Holbein Jnr wasn't quite so true-to-life in the case of the *Flemish mare*

komokwa likes this.
  18. the blacksmith

Well he probably was, originally. IIRC one of the portraits appears to have been altered, probably on the orders of Cromwell, who was desperate for the marriage to go ahead and thus make an alliance with the German protestant states. She was also shown face on, which is quite unusual.
    It was a deception that would cost both artist and Cromwell dear. Holbein evidently received no major commissions from the king afterwards, and Cromwell was executed!

komokwa likes this.
  19. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

I don't believe,personally, the completed portrait was altered.
    There were however clues enough to be deduced if so inclined ... one indeed being the *face on* approach as you mention xx

komokwa and the blacksmith like this.
  20. the blacksmith

There is also another portrait of Anne, I believe in Oxford, that has certainly had the nose shortened, though I do not remember if this one was also by Holbein.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted