Help with painting - looks like done w/a sponge? Signed Howell '79 on back; who is Howell?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, May 18, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

My pleasure JM.I'd send all these galleries email-get some bids.It'd be great to find a gallery close by,sell & deliver in person.

journeymagazine likes this.
  3. journeymagazine

OK, I started to open it but noticed a little piece of the paper's edge had chipped off (first photos) and I was afraid if I took it out I might bend it & crack some of the paint, so I decided to look at it closely with a magnifying glass to see if it actually was a painting - and found out 3 things:
    It looks like it's an actual painting that was done with watercolors.
    It looks like he might have painted over something else because there are places I swear I see letters/words etc..
    Finally... it is a Howell - because I found his signature!!
    So I may strike out a few times, it's the home runs & triples that make it worthwhile!
    Thank you all for the help and finding out who the artist was - I appreciate it & your help all the time!

ART PAINTING ABSTRACT HOWELL 8JAA.jpg ART PAINTING ABSTRACT HOWELL 8BAA.jpg ART PAINTING ABSTRACT HOWELL 8FAA.jpg ART PAINTING ABSTRACT HOWELL 8GAA.jpg ART PAINTING ABSTRACT HOWELL 8HAA.jpg

Figtree3 and say_it_slowly like this.
  4. bosko69

CONGRATS JM ! Your hard work paid off. By the way-(sorry if I pry),may I ask the story of yr online name-why Journey Magazine,were you a publisher/writer at one time ?

say_it_slowly likes this.
  5. journeymagazine

I started/was editor of a magazine called Its all in the Journey - a People magazine style magazine for the addiction counseling/rehab industry for 8 years (Grammy winning artist Jim Warren did my covers from issue 3 through closing) - until the economy crashed & advertisers went to pay per click on line.
    But it was fun starting it from an idea & seeing it grow for a good while!

Figtree3 and say_it_slowly like this.
  6. journeymagazine

I might have jumped the gun assuming it's a painting without physically looking at it & feeling it out of the frame (you know when you assume something it makes an ass out of 'U' and me!)
    Does anyone think it might not be a painting?
    Thank you - again!

7. bosko69

Journey-Creating & keeping a 'niche' magazine alive for 8 years is an amazing achievement ! Even the 'big boys' like TV Guide,People & Sports Illustrated are having a hard time generating ad revenue these days.
    I'd take it by a Fine Art Printing Atelier/Studio (or 2) and have them examine it under magnification.There should be several in the greater Miami area-a pro's your best bet,and they should do it for free.

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think your new pics confirm it is a painting. looks to be mixed media (watercolor and acrylics?) Your last pics seem to show some marks (scratches) left from contact with something else. On pottery, we call this penciling. Not sure if there is a term for it with artworks.

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

Some of the covers done by Jim Warren on my magazine-

20230521_150937~3.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. journeymagazine

Thanks verybrad!

11. journeymagazine

PS - that was my daughter Joy who sat in the O of journey on every cover.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted