Help with identifying antique money clip

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by JamesForeman, Nov 29, 2023.

1. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Take a look at the engraving on this piece... https://www.antiquers.com/threads/14k-rose-cut-diamonds-heart-pendant.81751/

Joan likes this.
  2. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you @Hollyblue for that explanation. To my untrained eye the bubbles look like light reflecting on lint. I guess I'll have to go over my questionable pieces of vintage jewelry with a strong magnifying glass.

I don't understand what the significance is of the engraved lines you circled--do you mean additional engraving was done after the piece was cast? I'm just trying to learn, so I combined the first photo with the photo you circled. The first photo doesn't have as much light reflection and isn't quite as sharp, but I'm still having a hard time seeing the places you circled as having casting bubbles and engraved lines.
    MoneyClip4.jpg

3. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thanks, Holly, the engraving on the heart pendant looks more crude to my untrained eye than on the money clip. Did the person who copied the heart pendant engrave over the engraving that was less sharp on the copy to make it look sharper? Is that how the money clip was done also, except the money clip copy was maybe sharper so the "copier" only had to go over some of the cast-copied engraving? Sorry this sounds confusing.

4. Hollyblue

There was no engraving after the piece was cast.The bubbles in the engraved lines are at the bottom of the lines.The circled engraved line at center bottom has a "line" of bubbled at the bottom of the cut,the bubbles are brighter the the rest of the engraved line.

Joan likes this.
  5. Hollyblue

On the heart most of the bubbles at in the engraved lines.it did not have any engraving after casting as the bubbles are also at the bottom of the cuts.

Joan likes this.
  6. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you @Hollyblue for your patience in explaining this to me. I have some vintage pieces with what I thought had original hand engraving, but I'll have to look more closely now to see if I can find little bubbles.

Draft saved Draft deleted