Help With Antique Maps from around 1600?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Brywil1970, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Brywil1970

Brywil1970 Well-Known Member

2. Brywil1970

3. Brywil1970

I am assuming these are both out of the same atlas so pics of one should be enough

4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Unhappily they are still as dark as Newgate Knocker. I will see what I can find.

map5.jpg

map7.jpg

5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

The actual Newgate Knocker, saved from when the prison was torn down in 1902

[​IMG]

6. Brywil1970

Thanks AF what do I need exactly in the pictures to help you. I have a nice new camera I really do not know how to use. Thanks Spring I was wondering what a Newgate Knocker was :)

7. afantiques

By the time it was used by the local children, descended from bombed out Londoners with whom the expression 'Black as Newgate Knocker' originated, it had mutated to 'Black as newbies knacker.' Or at least that is how it sounded to me. It was years later I encountered the original.

As for the pictures, a shot of the text of one page that is easily readable would be nice. Try using the various settings on your camera, and the enhancing software that came with it, with no film to pay for you can click away till you can picture with the pros.

8. Brywil1970

So you just want to read the text on the back?

9. Brywil1970

10. Brywil1970

11. Brywil1970

12. afantiques

Apart from the use of the unserifed 'f' as an 's' that is as easy to read as modern French, indicating that the atlas these maps were published in was not likely to be any earlier than the early 18th C, many years after the original plates mare made. Re-using old maps was normal practice until the pace of change in the 18th C and improvements in surveying made the old maps obsolete.

Pat P likes this.
  13. Brywil1970

Draft saved Draft deleted