Featured Help with a writing box?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by annasamara, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I soooooo hate the fact that everything in Australia costs 10 times what it does everywhere else in the world.

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Interesting and informative thread. I have no information to add, though. This type of thread is one of the reasons I like to come back here.

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  3. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Absolutely agreed, Fig!
    Before this thread, I knew SQUAT about writing boxes and/or steampunk laptops... and now I think I would not embarrass myself in a discussion about either.

annasamara likes this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

When I lived there almost everything was far cheaper than the UK, beer, food, cigs, petrol, trains, buses.
    I can`t say the same of antiques because I never saw any.
    I went into an antique shop in Katoomba and they had no antiques, it was full of valve radio`s and stuff from the 30`s. I did buy a Clarice Cliff teapot for AU$1 at a flea market in Sydney though :cool:

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. Shangas

Back then it was probably paid for in shillings and pence. These days it's a bloody nightmare.

6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Cheeky, back then was 2001

komokwa likes this.
  7. Shangas

Hehehehe.

Well, I hope the OP has all the necessary information that she needs to revive this box. It won't be easy, but it is possible. If she needs guidance on anything, she can ask me and I'll try and help if I can. In my time I've fixed about seven or eight of these boxes, all in varying levels of disrepair.

8. annasamara

annasamara New Member

My goodness - thank you everyone!! I love the idea of the steampunk laptop, but that's probably a bigger job for me than I'm up for right now :)

(I think it's the ridiculous cost of posting/shipping things to or from Australia that makes everything cost more)

9. Shangas

Quite so. Everything has to come here by ship, which jacks up the prices to absolutely insane levels.

10. Paul M

Paul M New Member

Walnut , mid to late 1800's .. not worth a great deal in that condition
    Several bits missing including one of the flaps .. so half the writing surface missing
    These are often wrongly described as Tunbridgeware .. it is called German Bandwork .. possibly the rolls of inlay were imported from German .. the box was probably made in the UK

annasamara and komokwa like this.
  11. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Hola, and welcome to the Forums, Paul!

Draft saved Draft deleted