Featured Help w/ID Vintage Women's 3-Piece Silk Outfit

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Jim Goodykoontz, Jul 1, 2024 at 7:26 PM.

1. Jim Goodykoontz

Jim Goodykoontz Active Member

so the clasp doesn't look older to you? that's literally the on piece of hardware on this that might help to date it.

2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I may be nitpicking but I wouldn't call the closure a clasp... it's a modern hook and eye that is still in use on garments today.

Joan and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

These pieces are constructed in the simplest, least expensive way. A cased elastic waistband instead of a straight waistband, a hook & eye instead of a button & loop.

Debora

Joan and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Fellow ethnic lover here, but you knew that already.:happy:
    I'm currently wearing a Mauritanian Tuareg bangle, ring, and earrings.

bluumz and reader like this.
  5. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I agree with Bluumz, that it was likely made by a small production clothing business. But it looks like it was altered to fit a shorter person. The cuff hem appears to have been shortened (in the thumbnail photo you can see a thicker/narrower hem underneath). The top could have been shortened and re-hemmed also, which would explain why part of the Helene signature is cut off.

On the other hand, it could have been made at home by someone who has a serger (overlock sewing machine). I think home sergers became more common in the 1980s-90s. The hand-sewn hook and eye looks like something a home sewer would do, but could have been done by a small production company also.

The fabric looks like a one-of-a-kind print since the design doesn't seem to repeat, and the signature on the scarf/belt has slight variations from the signature on the pants.

Jim Goodykoontz likes this.
  6. Jim Goodykoontz

Jim Goodykoontz Active Member

well, it sounds like the general consensus is it's not anything special. at least i can try selling it with that knowledge. thank you all for your input. there's a few things in women's clothing that i know, and the rest is a mystery.

7. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

FYI, I received the following response to the question I submitted on the Helene Blanche website about whether she designed the fabric:
    "Thank you for your inquiry.
    Many years ago, we had a butterfly wallpaper, but it’s not something that we are still producing or have in stock.
    We wish you a lovely day,
    Helena
    [she must actually spell her name with an "a" at the end]
    Best regards | Bedste hilsner
    Team Helene Blanche"

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Doesn't appear that the team member understood your query.

Debora

reader and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

But it seems likely they never designed clothing (fabric).

reader likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted