Help to identify spectacles And other eye wear.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Charliebfc, Dec 12, 2016.

1. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The tarnished ones may be low karat gold. Most are likely gold filled. Look for signs of plate wear on corners.

2. Charliebfc

Charliebfc Well-Known Member

I never delt with Gold if there no marking on them how can a person tell there gold is there a test you can do .
    And I'm not to fussed if there not Gold they only cost me £12.00 for the lot .

3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Without buying test acid, you could put in a salt vinegar mix overnight. If the metal turns green it's not gold. If it doesn't it is likely gold or gold surface.

4. Charliebfc

Thank you might try has suggested .

5. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I did not know this. I must try it one day!

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Shangas, to answer your question, I'd say yes, they were made in 14K gold, as I've got a pair I've had since I was a kid (Please don't ask HOW long ago.....MANY YEARS!!) that I found in an old abandoned house!!! At one time, not realizing they had value, I painted 'eyes' on the lenses and took them to the beach for fun!!! I'm assuming they are from the 1800's sometime! Here they are:

OldGoldRimmedGlasses2.jpg OldGoldRimmedGlasses1.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Laura, I like the octogan lenses. The octoganal lenses were popular from around 1840 to 1880. This pair has a "crank" bridge, shaped like an upside down "U." This type of bridge was used also from 1840 to c1880. The side arms, temple design, are long and straight with small teardrop finials. This design dates from 1850 to 1900.

--- Susan

Aquitaine likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

9. I must have quoted the wrong photo, it's a little difficult with so many. I didn't mean the small fold up pair but the pinz nez with the broken bit on the left hand side in the photo.

10. Charliebfc

It's not broken just not in the photo unless I'm on about the wrong ones

11. It is photo number 5 as you scroll down

12. Charliebfc

Ok I'm with you now yea is a pitty its broken off just thought it was a chipped lens

Thanks for your reply .

13. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

That broken bit is where a chain was attached.

--- Susan

14. Charliebfc

Yes can see that know more the shame .

Draft saved Draft deleted