Help identifying vintage/antique armchair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Sedona, Dec 23, 2020.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's an eight day winder. In theory, wind it once, it stays good that long. The dial shows how the spring is winding down. It was my grandfather's - I never knew him, really. He ran away to sea at 16, spent years on tea clippers, helped build the Canadian Pacific railway. The clock came back from the sea with him.

He was then a fireman. First wife and most of their children died in the 1899 Russian flu pandemic. He came down to London, met and married my grandmother, and was a fireman in the London Blitz. A very accomplished musician, too.

Pa treasured the clock, but it stopped working properly when I was very small. I think he'd love to see it now.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Quite an interesting person your grandfather. A sense of adventure seems to be the hallmark of his life. Sounds like a strong and rugged guy, so the musician part is rather surprising. It obviously wasn't an inexpensive piece when your grandfather bought it, since it has not only an elegance of style but a barometer on its face. Did he get it when he was at sea? Or was this a carryover from his maritime past.

I'm sure your Pa would have appreciated your restoring the clock not only to working order but it's original condition too. Thanks for explaining the 8 day piece. It stumped me.

4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Regarding the chair, one of the better upholstery places where I live would run around 1K for a proper job for fabric and the work involved. Agree it would exceed the value of the chair, but if you want it for your own use, that's different.

Would love to see the mohair chairs, too.

James Conrad and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Thanks. I need to do a post on those chairs. They are supposed to be Danish Art Deco.

Lucille.b and James Conrad like this.
  6. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

I know this is an old thread, but I couldn’t resist looking up the antique dealer’s website…it’s still for sale! They never reupholstered it, even though they do that in house.

They are advertising it as French oak, circa 1825. The price has been “reduced” to just under $1,350!

Draft saved Draft deleted