Help identify Russian samovar

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by flipperguy, Mar 14, 2021.

1. flipperguy

flipperguy New Member

So even though the samovar was made in 1896, the manufacturer added stamps from awards it received in previous decades for other samovars or products. That is, the seals for 1870, 1873 etc were not given for this particular samovar -- rather, they are awards the company received in the past. Do I have that right? Thanks again.

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

An example of bragging about awards after the fact in an antique photo. This one had an award at the U.S. Centennial in 1876. However, I'm pretty sure this cabinet card photo is from about 10 years later.

Mosher card2 resized.JPG

Here is the front, just FYI:
    Mosher card resized.JPG

Bakersgma and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Yes! Obviously, from what I've read about that family's work, they were well respected and well awarded.

Bakersgma and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I go to an International Orchid Show each year that has pretty of trophies, awards, and ribbons. At first, I believed it was so the visitors could discern the better examples and the joy of creating new colors and forms, but after some time, I realized it was just marketing. That is not meant to be cynical, rather to understand why each type of orchid had its own three levels of prices and while educational booths were judged, as well as artwork of orchids, competitions for arranging orchids and orchid societies.

5. Natasha

Natasha Well-Known Member

Hello flipperguy, your samovar was made in 1898. The text reads: Partnership of the Steam Samovar Factory of Vasiliy Stepanovich Batashev's successors in Tula (Russian town famous for samovar production). Below the text is the brand name mark. This factory samovars were of high quality and were in grea demand. They were awarded with a lot of medals. Samovars of 1898 with 16 medals are in big demand among collectors. But the most valuable are the samovars of 1897 with 28 medals

komokwa, KikoBlueEyes and Figtree3 like this.
  6. flipperguy

flipperguy New Member

thanks for the information. Very helpful.

komokwa likes this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Natasha to the rescue. How you could read that is amazing. Even if it was in the only language that I could read I wouldn’t be able to get all those words. You are terrific.

komokwa likes this.
  8. Natasha

Natasha Well-Known Member

Thank you KikoBlueEyes, Russian is my second language (first is Ukrainian), so I know it pretty well. Besides, I have been in the art business for many years.

KikoBlueEyes, Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Yay , Natasha !!!!!:happy::happy::happy:

KikoBlueEyes likes this.