Hello from Central Texas

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Chris1948, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

Thanks, I've got some American Brilliant but mostly EAPG and Depression glass. Here's a few photos of some of my cactus in bloom. I've got 35 baby Adeniums, 10 baby Plumeria and a whole lot of cactus and succulents on some cinder block shelves I have setup in the backyard. DSC07205.JPG DSC07206.JPG DSC07209.JPG DSC07315.JPG

cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Just keep the cat out of the kalanchoe; they can make kitties sick.

KingofThings, Chris1948 and SBSVC like this.
  3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Wow, Chris - you have some AMAZING plants there!

Thanks to my 4 indoor cats, I have ONE - and only one - indoor plant! I'm more than a bit envious of yours!

Outside, I have a small garden, as well as 20+ planters. They have all been planted with flowers (VERY recently, as I live in NH, where "last frost" is usually around Memorial Day!) and I'm looking forward to a summer of blooms!

Welcome to the forum!

KingofThings, Chris1948 and judy like this.
  4. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

Got no cats just two dogs. A deaf miniature Schnauzer and a terrier mix with an attitude that needs work.

5. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

Thanks, I need to trade off or sell some of my Adeniums to local nurseries when they get a bit bigger. They're only a bit over 1yr old now. I've also got quite a few different Hibiscus types in pots and planted in the ground. It's a mad scramble if I wait too long in the fall to get things into the greenhouses before the first cold snap.

judy, KingofThings and SBSVC like this.
  6. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

judy and KingofThings like this.
  7. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

They are somewhat different and you have to be careful not to over water them. My one adult one has quite a few buds on it.

KingofThings and SBSVC like this.
  8. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I have outdoor cats...
    Not mine.
    The neighbors are their staff.
    I'm retired. ;)

judy, SBSVC and Chris1948 like this.
  9. evelyb30

Famous last words...I'm sensing a roaming formerly homeless tomcat in your future.
    My kitty was pulled out of a cat colony, but she wants to be an indoor-only cat.

judy, KingofThings and Chris1948 like this.
  10. KingofThings

If you're speaking to me...there's not a chance in Helsinki that that is ever going to happen.
    :)

Chris1948 and judy like this.
  11. evelyb30

Might be a dog too, but cats have a way of wandering up and saying "out of my way, I'm moving in".

12. KingofThings

Still me Ev? :)
    If so, same statement holds.
    No more pets for me.
    If an animal comes to me in trouble I'll handle it but won't keep it.

Chris1948 and judy like this.
  13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Welcome! I had the good fortune to spend some time volunteering at a dig in central Texas for awhile. It's really nice and I was fascinated with the way some of the small towns retained the flavor of whichever immigrants settled there.

I digress.... Welcome again!

KingofThings and Chris1948 like this.
  14. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

Thanks, there are a lot of small towns around from German settlements. You're right some are still small enough, like West, to retain their heritage but others you'd be hard pressed to figure out who settled there without some research.

15. evelyb30

There are parts of the upper Midwest that still have a real Scandinavian flavor....and accent. Dunno about Texas.

16. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Actually we went to the Bosque Museum in TX to see a rock shelter exhibit and half the museum is about the Norwegians that settled the area.

In another town we dined at the biergarten in a town settled by Germans.

We also got to see a Scottish festival where the clans gather for a pipe and drum competition and celebration. Somehow they got even teen Texas boys into kilts!

I imagine that because there is so much space between settlements some of the flavor remains.

Or that was my impression anyway.

17. KingofThings

Bet those boys had a swingin' time.
    :wideyed::eek::rolleyes:

komokwa likes this.
  18. evelyb30

The teenagers got to run around without underwear; they were probably lined up.(LOL)

KingofThings likes this.
  19. KingofThings

Oh my....
    Rather....their's.
    ;)

20. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

A really great place to go is Galveston during 'Dickens on the Strand' the first weekend in Dec. We've gone quite a few years but it was getting pretty much the same old thing so we haven't gone in a few years. Of course the cost of lodging is really jacked up during that time so it's best to make reservations months before.
    http://www.galveston.com/dickensonthestrand/

My wife has gotten several books signed by one of his GGGG (maybe too many 'G's) while we were there.

say_it_slowly likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted