Have a general question about selling rare books

Discussion in 'Books' started by Pat P, Aug 12, 2014.

1. This is why I kept my information about the Bible I want re-bound vague. I was told the same thing by the appraiser I hired. I like this reply.

Pat P and KingofThings like this.
  2. Thank you for this thread site. I intend to use it. You all are so wonderful. I love it I can share my treasured goodies with you and I don't have to worry about it showing up on Google.

Pat P and KingofThings like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

If you put stuff online, it's online. All it takes is someone to download your pictures, and it's all over the place. And it's almost impossible to prevent people from downloading stuff.

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I don't know if it would apply to books, but I do have an anecdote about an auction where "fresh to the market" was a factor.

At a recent Northwest Coast Native art auction a bracelet by a very famous maker sold for $80,000. Some folks were surprised, because another bracelet from that maker had sold at the same auction house 6 months before for $100,000.
    Auction staff explained that the owner in the recent case had shopped his bracelet around, showing it to all the local collectors. When he didn't get results that way, he listed it with the auction house.
    Thus, most of the prospective buyers had already seen the item, and already decided not to buy it.
    The auctioneers were convinced this had cost the owner $20,000, and that the expected price would likely have reached $100,000 had the bracelet been "fresh to the market."

5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

There are ways to prevent images from being downloaded or copied, but I don't know if they can be implemented in a forum like this. I also don't know if it's foolproof.

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted