Featured Green depression glass at sale -- anything good?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Dec 9, 2021.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Back from sale. (I went three times in two days.)

The journey began Friday morning during a light snow when I unknowingly went to the wrong address. I was waiting there a half hour-- I did a link from CL onto Google maps to my cell, and somehow it sent me to the wrong address. I was over an hour early, thinking I was the first person there I went up to the front door and left an empty bag there to be first in line while I waited in the car. (That's how folks do it here.) First snow of the season, but I couldn't explain why no one else was there. Had some stuff I was working on in the car, and just figured I'd wait. Still suspicious no one else was there after another 15 minutes. Tried confirming I had the correct address on my phone, but didn't have reception. Waited another 10 minutes -- still no one, and got out and started walking around in case I could get the phone to work. Success! DH picked up and looked at address--ACK! It WAS wrong! No idea what the CL link did. Still 30 minutes before the sale was opening, I was just 8 houses off. Raced over and grabbed my bag from a complete strangers front step (hopefully homeowners don't have a RING system, lol.) Was swearing in the car, but got to the correct house, parked. By some MIRACLE, hardly anyone there, only 5 people, I guess because of weather. Went over to wait outside with the group, someone said "they are going to let us in early because of the weather" and 2 minutes later the door opened and they let us in 25 minutes early! :singing:

Of the 5 people, there was one book guy, 4 jewelry buyers and me. I am normally a "jewelry person", but I'd viewed online photos and it was a lot of NA or southwestern jewelry at high prices. So I took a lightning fast look at jewelry then headed around the rest of the house.

Huge case of the glass (as shown above) but their ad said, "so much depression glass, we can't even price it", and when I got there, there was a sign above case said that "prices for depression glass will be given at the register". So thinking that could really be high, and I just grabbed the small jadeite refrigerator jar, and what turned out to be uranium glass butter dish and some nice S&Ps. I looked at the pitcher with the juicer, but it almost looked like it had glass sickness, so I skipped it. In hindsight maybe should have gotten the lamp but didn't. Then off to the rest of the sale where I got some goodies below. In fact the seller was really great with prices.

The sale was a total of two days, 2nd day was 20% off and then 50% off at 2pm. They had a large 1995 Portmeirion Holly and Ivy set (back when still well made in Britain) and I really didn't give it much thought, but overnight looked at some prices on Ebay and decided I should consider it on day 2. So went back today first thing and asked "how much" for the entire Portmeirion set (can you believe $20 for all of it??) Got that out to the car. No one was buying the Hoosier jars, so I picked every last one out and still feeling giddy on the $20 purchase, asked how much, was a little surprised when she said "$60", but went for it. Also got the large green platter day 2, also uranium glass, for $8.

finds3.jpg

finds4.jpg

finds5.jpg
    (Above is that the mark for "Illinois" maker?)

These two are uranium glass:

finds6.jpg

McKee jadite refrigerator jar
    :
    finds7.jpg

Not the greatest photo, but this set was unused! They even had a bit of the original sales tag. Only problem Christmas is SO SOON to mail these. I noticed a lot of the sales of the Portmeirion went on Nov 23-25. I listed the dinner plates, salad plates and mugs anyway, we'll see what happens.
    aaaall.jpg
    These will probably do pretty well. They are large signed cards still in orig packaging
    by different Pacific Northwest artists.
    finds99.jpg

A few things I didn't photograph. It was an awesome sale!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
    *crs*, judy, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Love the "feather" glass bud vase! Is there a better name for that?

judy, pearlsnblume and Lucille.b like this.
  3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I may ask for help with that piece separately. It is signed but very hard to read. 1990s.

*crs* and judy like this.
  4. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Awesome haul! And thanks for the detailed narrative--I know that feeling and it's great!

Lucille.b likes this.
  5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

You did very well. I love your selections and purchases.
    I am jealous.
    You probably will get all your money back with just a few sales of the green shakers and then it is all gravy.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    *crs*, Lucille.b and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted