Featured Good Profit Margin Story

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Snowman Cometh, Jul 8, 2024.

1. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

If I was selling something for 95k, I sure as heck would make sure the details are correct. In this instance the story is a made up bunch of BS. There is nothing the seller offers as provenance. The initials could be Loretta Gaston or any name with LG. It is just a "Story" without written proof, or something to back your play.

J Dagger and komokwa like this.
  2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

? It was originally sold by Heritage Auctions, and that's where the description comes from. They are well known and deal with high end items, so I would assume someone would have called them out by now if their "story" was BS.

The person/store behind the ebay listing seems to be legit, so I assume they are the purchaser from when Heritage sold it in May, and they have it in their store for sale now. The NY auction house/liveauctioneers listing was complete BS, and just ripped off the pictures and description from the ebay listing.

komokwa likes this.
  3. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I was not really following the ins and outs of this situation. Just speculating on how an item detail could be unintentionally wrong. In some categories there are so many damn specs to fill out that it is easy to miss changing one. I see mistakes in a lot of listings and know I’ve made them. If I was selling something that expensive you’re right though I’d want to double check and make sure they were correct.

komokwa likes this.
  4. Sdcookie2

Heritage has not offered or stated any provenance. Without provenance it is just a pretty compact attributed and doesn't make it so. It wouldn't be the first time an auction house misrepresented an item.
    $6500 includes the buyers premium, this is about scrap price at the time. If this had provenance it would have sold for much more than the scrap price. Savvy buyers knew it was just a pipe dream. Just my two cents. :playful:

komokwa likes this.
  5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

komokwa likes this.
  6. daveydempsey

All I did was look at the eBay listing, I didn't put it in my watch list and they sent me an offer knocking $10k off

kentworld and komokwa like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That Sir...is the definition of Sleazy !!!!!!
    And maybe a little AI overreach ............:nailbiting:

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That was pure AI; I still read the Seller boards over there sometimes and people have complained about it left and right.

kentworld likes this.
  9. evelyb30

I just checked. Got the same offer. Hit the X in record time.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that fricken rude when a machine starts to play with your money................

11. daveydempsey

The seller must agree to receive offers and the amount they are willing to accept.
    It does say the seller made you an offer

12. evelyb30

Their 10% off is about 900% more than I'd pay for something sight unseen.

komokwa and daveydempsey like this.
  13. Sdcookie2

Lol , me too,!

daveydempsey likes this.
  14. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

That's been my experience. I do mine manually, and it's allowed me to send an offer to someone when the item has zero watchers.

I am annoyed that it does that when I'm the buyer. I don't want offers for things I just looked at. :rolleyes: At least it doesn't send me emails for those (yet).

daveydempsey and komokwa like this.
  15. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Personally, I like the make-an-offer ability. I have sold many items this way & gauge the offer on how long it has been hanging around, how long it has been listed, as well as what I have invested in the item.

I feel its a win for both buyer & seller. The buyers are under no obligation to buy the item but if they are interested sometimes a few dollars off cinches the deal. You can simply ignore it or you can decline it by check a box.

As for the seller, it is one more thing out the door. :smug::smug::smug:

mirana and komokwa like this.
  16. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Oh, I like the offer system! I just don't like when I get offers for things I'm not watching. Sometimes you'll get offers when you only clicked on an item. I don't need that for stuff I was only referencing or trying to see a photo better.

I give offers on most everything I have listed and sell often. I've bought a few via offer (made by them or me) and I just did an offer on an auction item yesterday for the first time, which was happily accepted. The system is otherwise great for me too. :D

bercrystal and daveydempsey like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted