Featured Good pencil, expandble, signed A. Waugh

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Tiffany didn't mark all of their pieces,quality control wasn't always present.

Firemandk and Xristina like this.
  2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Eh, Tiffany is, of course, widely counterfeited, but not sure I see any real problem with these marks, it's not a piece of modern mass-produced jewelry that everyone feels they must have as a status symbol, but an older novelty mechanical pencil that would have been retailed by Tiffany and probably stamped by the manufacturer at production (Edward Todd a likely maker).

Here is a two-part article about this design on Jon Veley's mechanical pencil site:

https://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2020/03/everybody-and-their-brother-part-one.html

https://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2020/03/everybody-and-their-brother-part-two.html

Here is an 'authenticated' Tiffany sterling scent flask on 'therealreal' site, to my eye, the marks less well well-struck than on the pencil (the majority of these small bottles were produced by Charles Thomae):

https://www.therealreal.com/product...iffany-co-sterling-silver-perfume-flask-amfi7

tiffanyscentflaskmarks.JPG

Tiffany, nor any other reputable firm would reveal who purchased any item, unless legally compelled - in regards to dating the piece, feel sure that would require searching their archives, and last I heard, Tiffany charged a minimum $1000. dollars to research an item...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    Firemandk, Xristina, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Good points. I always err on the side of caution. Would rather pass on an item of potential value with a high sticker price than get burned by an unscrupulous seller.

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Is it being represented as solid 14K? My guess is that the outermost section is gold but that the sections that telescope out are not. I would want to know that the piece was tested in more than one place.

Xristina, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

It actually ocured to me that only the first part is 14 karat gold, as the other parts were diffrent in colour, but I thought that may be because the other pices sat inside and the only exposed side was the most outer layer, the first part.
    I can't ask the seller now to test it, but I think is a gambe, and am going to leave it.
    If I would have been able to find whom it belonged to, maybe. I am sure that there are so many collectors that know what this pencil it's worth.

Thank you all for your advise, links and posts, it's been very interesting learning curve.
    Xx

Houseful, Xristina, komokwa and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted