Featured gold bead necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by quirkygirl, Jan 13, 2023.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Interesting.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yer welcome......& here's another opinion...

it's round beads......there is nothing exciting going on here...
    with all the lovely gold jewelry I've seen on this site ..... lots of which I'd wear...this necklace has nothing to say....no Bling...
    a set of nice pearls would be more interesting....

& you have to fix them !
    which alone, could be fun.....but more fun that the end result.....which would still be just a string of boring gold beads....

imho....;):happy::happy:

quirkygirl likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Plus, stone or pearl spacer beads would have smaller holes to make knotting practical. Some rattail or other cording comes thicker too, and one of those could make for an interesting look. Also something thick enough to keep the beads from cutting through for a good long time.

quirkygirl, stracci and KSW like this.
  4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That would look great with some nice pearls in between the gold.

kyratango, quirkygirl and stracci like this.
  5. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Yup ... that's another opinion ;)
    I enjoy hearing your opinions ... even when they differ from my own.
    Where you see "just a string of boring gold beads", I see a simple, classic, understated strand of petite gold beads.
    Neither opinion is right or wrong. :)

I actually haven't decided yet what I'm going to do with them. I was kind of hoping the hide glue (assuming that's what the brown stuff is), would be a clue to the age of the necklace. I have two other necklaces (more exciting ones - maybe) with this same issue ... broken strands originally attached to an end cap with this substance.

kyratango, BoudiccaJones, KSW and 2 others like this.
  6. Pattywithay

Pattywithay Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the "Add a Bead" necklaces popular in the 80's. They were usually on a thin chain though.

KSW and quirkygirl like this.
  7. quirkygirl

I remember them! :)

KSW likes this.
  8. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I was just about to mention a chain. I have a necklace of similar beads. They are strung on a thin gold chain. Solves the saw through problem. Also you can use a chain that has some injured links two birds one stone. I know I have some cold chains that have a couple crushed or otherwise misshapen links.

KSW and quirkygirl like this.
  9. komokwa

but it needs a smooth chain....stay away from box chains..

J Dagger and quirkygirl like this.
  10. quirkygirl

Thank you for mentioning this, J Dagger. :) This was another option that I was considering before I read that it may be possible to get the old glue out of the original clasp ends.

Pretty sure I have several broken gold chains that would be long enough to work for this.

kyratango, KSW, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  11. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Well bright side--it broke at home and not outside!:nailbiting: I think it will be lovely cleaned up and re-strung. There's something really nice about gold on it's own, in an interesting shape. The length is a great one too if you could add a little to it for comfort.

Haaa my local doesn't even acid test. It seems the smaller ones don't have the analyzer (for now).

kyratango, quirkygirl and KSW like this.
  12. bosko69

The smaller 'neighborhood Goodwills' are a dying breed.I had one in a little mall abt 3 minutes from the house-they rarely screened anything.It closed during Covid and was replaced by one of their multi-million dollar newly-built 'Superstores' closer to the city.The new store is aptly filled with curated 'Supershi*'.
    PS-If recycled Target merch is your thing-then this place is Tut's Tomb.

Happy!, mirana and KSW like this.
  13. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Aah our superstore is in the burbs and yes, full of junk.

14. bosko69

Mirana-So there are still smaller Goodwill stores around in some neighborhoods ?

15. evelyb30

Used to be. Mine is small, but Target pallets are common. I think they buy them and truck them in.

16. bosko69

I used to really enjoy the 'baby' goodwills in their little funky building w/ all their funky (cheap) stuff.

17. evelyb30

The funky and cheap are both gone. I found deals right before Christmas, and scored a screaming steal on Starbuck's coffee right afterward, but they're right back to their old ways.

18. bosko69

Starbucks Verona Blend-I've got to get some Decaf though-too much caffinating for me !

19. evelyb30

This was the Christmas coffee, which explains why it was on the Target pallet. All whole bean. It didn't last long, but then neither did the other Christmas stuff.

20. komokwa

Christmas coffee...their best coffee

Draft saved Draft deleted