Featured Girl with Candle Oil Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by Aquitaine, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

You're most welcome Gila!

2. Aquitaine

Thanks for the input Makanudo.....I do use Photoshop....not sure I always get the best out of it, and will keep playing with it.....will definitely look at your ideas!!!!:);)

3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

It looks like E.S. Foy to me.

You can post your pictures right in the thread by clicking on Full Image FrntCndlGrl.jpg

4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I'm curious about what appear to be ribbed lines in the canvas. I also think the features look more modern. You can never tell a picture by the frame because paintings are reframed all the time.

5. Aquitaine

Bev, although the frame fits the canvas to a "T" I tend to agree I don't think it to be original to the picture.......I absolutely have NOT played with the picture in Photoshop AT ALL......there is a significant amount of crackling in the paint though.........The ONLY "playing" I did was with the signature to try and enhance it to see if anyone could make it out.....still waiting til Friday to see if it's the E.S. Fay in Askart!!! And holding my breath.....!! If I do any Photoshop enhancements or work, I WILL state that I have done so......ALWAYS!!!!

6. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Sweet! Most old paintings were painted on a rabbit skin glue base. Rabbit skin glue expands and contracts with exposure to moisture and that's why most old painting have the crackle look. It can also cause the canvas to stretch and appear wavy or loose over time. The canvas supports are old, as is the canvas. I also think the frame is a later addition. My guess is the same as everyone else on the signature.

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Ah, Fay instead of Foy. I kept thinking of Eddie Foy the vaudeville performer.

Aquitaine likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Thanks again EVERYONE!!!! I SO appreciate ALL of the input and help!!!

cxgirl likes this.
  9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

This is a sweet little painting, can't wait to see what you can find on Friday:)

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

THAT BOLD info is fascinating!!!!!! Not sure I ever heard that before!! Thanks!!!!!!

11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

When I went to art school in the 60s, we had to take raw canvas and learn to size it with rabbit glue. Hated, hated, hated it. I'm an artist, not a carpenter!

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  12. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

If you didn't like it, imagine how the rabbit felt.

14. Aquitaine

WELL, THAT was a HUGE STRIKE OUT!!!!!!! Wait most of a week to see that all of what Askart is showing on the listing page, is ALL I get on the Free Friday!!!! Which makes me VERY cautious about signing up for a day or a month.........THAT may be ALL they HAVE on E S Fay!!!!!! HUGE BUMMER!!!! I will gladly pay if I know they have more, but.........:(:(:(:( and they seem to be the ONLY one around with ANY kind of a listing at all!!!!!

cxgirl likes this.
  15. Makanudo

Makanudo There is no such thing as simple.Simple is hard.

16. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Aquitaine, I didn't know askart has times when you can see more info for free. Could you share more about that, please?

17. Aquitaine

Somewhere on the limited front page I read that you could get more info on the artists on Fridays when they allowed some FREE access......apparently there IS no more info on the E.S. Fay I am looking for, but as I remember, it did work for me in looking for another artist!! EDIT: I did go back last night (Friday before midnight!!!.....checked out a few other artists, and YES....I saw bios and some of their art, so it still works!!! Go for it!!!! Seems like FRIDAYS ONLY though!! :smug::smug:

Pat P likes this.
  18. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, Aquitaine. That's good news for me!

19. Aquitaine

I think I will put together a few artists and then join for a day.....seems a reasonable way to go!!!! So, will probably be looking for help on another (or two) signatures :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

20. Aquitaine

Just kind of a "last" update, since I seem to have run out of artists and any more ideas!!! I went back to AskART.com and that artist E.S.Fay that they are showing....if one looks closely at the signature on that painting, it bears no resemblance that I can see to the one of my "Girl with Candle".....guess she just may have to remain 'unknown'.....unless I wind up taking her to the Worcester Art Museum and seeing if they will have a 'go' at her!!!! Regardless, thank you ALL for your input and efforts......So often you DO nail it right down!!!!!:):):):):)

Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted