Found this cleaning out china cabinet...

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by I wonder, Feb 1, 2022.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I once flew out of Zurich, got hit by lightning at 10k feet. And we had a massive wake bump on landing there once, too.

KikoBlueEyes, komokwa and Fid like this.
  2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

wind can speed up over the lake when coming from the Alps; shearwind is another problem they have.

komokwa likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Fid is right about this nice set being a çaydanlik, which simply means teapot in Turkish.
    However, @janetpjohn is right about the larger pot being rather small bottomed for its use.
    I would like to add that the C-shaped handle on the bottom pot is also unusual (burnt fingers:inpain:). Although I have seen both features before on a çaydanlik, I think it could be based on 'Western' teapots. The smaller pots, the actual teapots, often have C handles.

Since I was not aware of the use of the çaydanlik in Turkic cultures outside Turkey, and was pretty sure there was no such use, I decided to ask our neighbour.
    Our neighbour was born into a prominent Tengric religious family with ties to all Turkic nations. (Tengrism is Turkic Shamanism, often mixed with moderate Islam.) He regularly travels to Turkic Tengric communities in Europe and Asia.

This is what he said, based on his vast knowledge of Turkic culture, so don't shoot the messenger:;)
    He confirmed my thought that this çaydanlik was made in Russia for the Turkish market (Turkey). Turkey and Russia have had a love-hate relationship for over a thousand years, and have strong trade relations.
    He also confirmed my thought that the çaydanlik is not used in the Turkic nations east of Turkey (Russia and Central Asia). He said most of those nations are more Persian-influenced in their tea tradition. A Persian orientation makes sense to me, since Central Asia was part of the Bactrian empire.

Finally, his advice on which tea to use: Karadeniz black tea from the Black Sea region of Turkey. Loose tea leaves, of course.:cool:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
    Bakersgma and KSW like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I flew out of Zürich several times, but was sad to hear they changed the name of the airport. The old name Zürich-Kloten was always fun to us teens, since kloten is Dutch for bo..ocks.
    I thought I'd mention it, since you also appreciate the joys of mixing languages.:playful::hilarious:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
    komokwa, KSW and Ownedbybear like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted