Featured Forge Welded Butterfly Hinge

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by James Conrad, Nov 24, 2017.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yep, that's for sure! Phyfe had a bad case of "carpenter's conceit", which is why unless you have a piece descended in his family or a bill of sale, it's gonna be "attributed to" in Phyfe's case.

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

arggggh? Of course these days, all brown wood is "argggh" if you paid up for it in the 80s.

James Conrad likes this.
  3. James Conrad

Well, i wouldn't say ALL but, much of it yes, the top 10% still sells for some big numbers, the middle market? argggggh is about right. Great for collectors, not so grand if you are a seller.
    In my world, construction details are IT, it's ALL we have to go on and it's absolutely vital to authenticate old furniture. Take that walnut tea table i recently acquired, 20 years ago i wouldn't have given it the time of day, why? because that drawer construction was oak and back then, oak secondary wood meant one thing, english origin.

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

THAT WAS A NIFTY VIDEO:jawdrop::jawdrop::smuggrin::smuggrin::):)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James Conrad likes this.
  5. James Conrad

LOL, yeah was pretty neat. He makes it look soooooooooooooo easy and for him, it is but the reality is, it ain't so easy at all. Glad you enjoyed it, his presentation is spot on & is geared toward people who know little about smithing.

Draft saved Draft deleted