Folk art anatomical gentlemen's erotic pocket toy or mass produced?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Kari Green, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

:hilarious: I get it. That was going to be my second question.

kyratango, judy and KingofThings like this.
  2. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

I think identifying the type of plastic would help narrow down the date. I wonder if such a simple mechanism could still be considered an automaton? There are collectors for these kinds of novelties.

3. QuincyAK10

QuincyAK10 Well-Known Member

I believe plastics first came out in early 20th century. Baekeland had a winter home here in Miami. Unusual piece, thank you for posting.

4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

First off I am not sure how you will feel about doing this, :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: the easiest way to tell the difference between plastic & bone or ivory is to see if it feels cold to the touch. I usually use my cheek, but the inside of you forearm could also work. :eek::eek::eek: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D:D

Plastic will feel warm, but bone or ivory will always feel cold to the touch.

I also would not attempt repairs of any kind as that may put some potential buyer off. JMHO

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The plastic looks like Celluloid or similar. It dates farther back than you would think. The small size makes me think it was something a man might carry in a pocket & show to male friends. A little peep show, like some stanhope viewers.

6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Doesn't celluloid smell like vinegar and stronger as it degrades?

Bronwen and judy like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is exactly the purpose, Bronwen, spot on. And yes, there were plastics in the 19th century, celluloid was one. Judging from the hairdo of the 'lady', this dates form the early days of plastics.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

There were also snuff boxes with erotic scenes inside the lid. A man would offer his male friends some snuff, and some entertainment to go with it.

kyratango, judy, Sandra and 2 others like this.
  9. Bronwen

Could well be that none of the Celluloid I have around the house is old enough to have degraded to that degree, but none of it smells like vinegar. Flammable it is. Read somewhere that it was developed to use up the left over raw material for an explosive when some war ended.

kyratango and KingofThings like this.
  10. Bronwen

Think I have also seen pocket watches that provided similar action to this item.

11. Bronwen

Stolen from Wiki:

Celluloids are a class of compounds created from nitrocellulose and camphor, with added dyes and other agents. Generally considered the first thermoplastic, it was first created as Parkesine in 1856 and as Xylonite in 1869, before being registered as Celluloid in 1870.

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

#1, the man, ain't so little !

#2, why is it always the man who has to move back and forth ???

( sorry folks.....there's only so good I can be..!! )

13. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Ha!!!!!
    ;)

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  14. Bronwen

Think probably not. It needs to move without you moving it. Remember, 'auto' means 'self', it moves by itself. :happy:

15. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

What I want to know is why it's always the lady with no clothes on. At least she's a bit cartoon-like too in this case. I can see some teenager getting this off his dad's desk to giggle over with his friends.

17. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Just a thought

Don't all Gentlemen have an erotic pocket toy? ;)

kyratango, Bronwen and KingofThings like this.
  18. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Yep, and one wonders what was going through the dad’s mind to have it in he first place, it seems so juvenile. Sorry, JMHO!

kyratango, judy and KingofThings like this.
  19. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Marie,
    You should have seen my collection of neckties that all had naked ladies painted on the inside. Talk about juvenile. I had over 30 ties from the 20s and 30s.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Men & dare I say women have been captivated and stimulated by erotic imagery down thru the ages, in many different cultures.
    Depictions of sexual positions with full nudity are commonplace in many cultures.

Draft saved Draft deleted