Flint Glass Celery Vase ID Help Please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by value-vintage, Jun 18, 2014.

1. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

LOL! Any chance it could be Canadian? Would that account for the rim. (Remember, I know nada about glass...) :)

2. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that this piece is obviously old, but has some pattern elements on it that are found in EAPC glass, made in the middle of the 20th century. That heavy 8 point hob star just doesn't look old. Not to say it isn't.

3. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Yo have expressed your opinion and I have expressed mine. That fact that we do not agree is clear but it doesn't mean that either or neither of us have nothing to contribute. No sarcasm just a willingness to learn. Frankly I am not sure wisegeek was very wise in this case.

4. George Nesmith

wikipedia defines flint glass this way
    With respect to glass, the term flint derives from the flint nodules found in the chalk deposits of southeast England that were used as a source of high purity silica by George Ravenscroft, circa 1662, to produce a potash lead glass that was the precursor to English lead crystal.

Traditionally, flint glasses were lead glasses containing around 4–60% lead oxide; however, the manufacture and disposal of these glasses were sources of pollution. In many modern flint glasses, the lead can be replaced with other additives such as titanium dioxide and zirconium dioxide without significantly altering the optical properties of the glass.

Flint glass can be fashioned into rhinestones which are used as diamond simulants."

5. value-vintage

value-vintage New Member

George my sarcasm was mostly aimed at Bev, who seemed to insinuate that I hadn't handled enough glass to even formulate an opinion worth anything.

Maybe I'm just too sensitive.

And George, I don't even know that I disagree with you.

Maybe this thing was made in Mexico in the 1980s for all I know.

They did make some crappy glass after all.

But I have had a few confirmed early 1800s pieces of glass with debris in the glass and this piece looked/felt very similar to me. Plus all that base wear. But whatever.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  6. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Also, when lime was substituted for lead oxide in glass, the name flint continued to be used to indicate glass without color, crystal in today's language. The word Flint continued to be used in factory names, such as Co-operative Flint Glass Co. and Model Flint Glass Co. which made transparent (and some colored) glass.

7. value-vintage

value-vintage New Member

Cherryhill I felt the same about the design, how that hobstar looked newer, but the glass seemed old.

But Jenkins used a very similar design in the circa 1908 "Boxed Star" pattern, and I initially thought that perhaps they had patterned it after an even earlier pattern.

8. George Nesmith

I would be the last to say that debris is not found in glass from ancient to made yesterday. It is just that I do not think it is a marker of age but of quality control and what the user was willing to accept. I am willing to be corrected with evidence because I have made enough mistakes for two people.

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Well, I didn't mean to insult you, but how would anyone know here when someone posts a question? My remarks were intended to be helpful.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  10. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I have handled glass for 40+ years, AB,EAPG, Mexican blown and some porcelain that I collected over the years and I still know a fraction and I am still learning ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted