Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

In my neck of the woods (South Jersey/Philadelphia, PA. and often North Jersey/NYC) I'm much more worried about jackers (robbers) more so than I am little old ladies and loudmouth dudes. As most of you know, this is a cash-N-carry business. While I may be a tinie tiny Asian chick, I'll never be anyone's vic. This is why I'm almost always with my 5.7 friend Fabrique, whose a Belgium Nationale. Fabrique may be short as well, but he packs a very big punch! ;)

2. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

Those garages salers are a little passionate huh? lol /wack
    We have one regular here I have seen fight several times. That is when I actually years ago stopped going to estate sales. I stood outside while a sale opened and I dont know if the 2 guys talked about something in there but they ran like idiots to the same thing and both had their hands on it fighting cussing....this is not the past time I want to enjoy. I was embarrassed for them

This guy will run in front of you, pick things up across you in a nanu...rude rude rude
    One day he and his I guess competition were waiting in the cold for a sale to open. Me too lol in my more obsessed days. As the garage door crept open they went running under while it was low....the people freaked
    Was nothing there worth a darn and surely not worth the crazyness. So I stick to sales but if I see a car being mobbed at swap I going between the knees whenever possible

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Greg,I had a moving sale in Denver,and I put in the ad NO early birds,and had a sign on my front door in huge letters stating the sale will NOT start before 9 am and anyone showing up before then would not be admitted. They started knocking and ringing my bell at 7 am. Each and every one I took a good look at and remembered,and soundly sent them packing with a flea in their ear. I caught no less than 3 of them trying to come back in later ! The rudeness of people astonished me,and I will never have another sale again.
    PS...I did make very good money ,but I had LOTS of crap ! :)

spirit-of-shiloh and tie.dye.cat like this.
  4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

I keep my garage door closed, since most of my stock and packing supplies are in there, but at my last sale, a woman pulled up after the signs were already down and we were packing up - told her that we were done and the remains were being donated. She proceeded to start pawing through packed cartons, and I again told her that we were done (wasn't much left anyway), then she walked into the garage, which was open to put away the tables, and reached for one of my labeled boxes that apparently caught her interest, I pulled it out of her filthy little paws and firmly told her to leave - and she calmly said, "I do flea markets, could give you a price and clear all this junk out for you." Have been told what my face looks like when someone's added that final straw and made me angry, so she apparently realized I was serious when I rather profanely told her to vacate the premises, and she scuttled off to her van...

~Cheryl

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Good for you ! That's hilarious !

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Sometimes it is a mistake. I was driving down the street and a driveway was full of stuff and the garage door open. I jumped out and started looking and moving a few things. This guy comes out and says "Can I help you?" I said "you have any glass or china?". He says I am cleaning out my garage, I stammared, "I am sorry I thought you were having a sale." He looks at me and says "Who in Hell has a sale on Tuesday?"
    greg

7. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Wow Greg, was the stuff you had out that good or are the yardsalers just that crazy in your neck of the woods?

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  8. mymysharona43

I went to a church yard sale once and teenagers running it. I made a pile and a lady walks up and picks up my lamp and I say thats my pile. To which she replied well its still here for sale to which I replied lady if you don't put that down I will call the police...she put it down huffy, poor kids did not know what to do including defend my purchases

9. mymysharona43

their crazy especially this time of year in my neck of the woods the estate sales are wack, not sure why

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  10. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

I keep saying that I need to make a trip down to where I grew up outside of Philly to hit some of the yardsales as it's a much more affluent area than here, but truth be told, I don't know if I have the stomach for the yardsale crazies down there.

I remember when we would hold yard sales when I was growing up we'd have dealers knocking on the door the night before the sale or two hours before in the morning.

Ha, reminds me once when we had a yardsale about 30 years ago. My dad didn't have a clue about antiques. He had a real nice old railroad set from his dad. He put it out without a price. A dealer comes along and offers him $75. My dad says, "How about $50?"

We still kid him about it.

11. 'Nuff_Said

Tie.dye.cat, we're use to the "crazies" down here. The pushing, shoving, arguing and fighting, its become (or has always been) a bit normal. But what's more concerning (at least in my opinion) in these past couple of years, are the robberies and home invasions of buyers and dealers. There was a flea market jewelry dealer I believe earlier this year or last who was followed home, tied-up along with his wife and robbed of his day's take and whatever else was in the home including safes.

This dealer was damn near shoot over $35 last year:

Link: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Shooting-at-Antique-Shop-192349201.html

12. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

'Nuff_Said, that is really worrisome to anyone with an establishment taking in cash in any amount (small or large).

One thing I didn't quite understand about the in-print story: "Police are working to identify her [the woman with the gun]."

Uh, hello, if she (the gun-wielder) had made a deposit many months before on an item in the store, why would the owner not be able to provide a name and perhaps even an address and/or phone number for the person who made the deposit?

Just curious.

13. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

nuff said's banknotes arrived today, (see posts passim )

Very pleased with them. Thanks.

14. gregsglass

Hi Tie-dye,
    I used to have good stuff. My newspaper ad always started with NO clothes,NO baby stuff, NO Tupperware. I had one a year for years and
    I always got repeat dealers and buyers. It was the only place where you did not have to wade through household stuff. I had tables of glass, tables with ceramics all scattered over the back yard. I would set up at 4AM and cover the tables. At 6AM I would uncover them and the sparkling stuff would be a real treat to the eye. The metal stuff and furniture were on rugs in the driveway. It was a lot of work but 3 to 8 thousand dollars profit for two days work made me happy. I loved the conversations with other people during the sale. The two women were fighting over a Jadite double egg cup for 6 bucks.
    greg

15. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Here is a Czech Decanter set I found on Ebay last night (So I obviously dont have it in my hands yet) I have seen a few sets pop up on Ebay from time to time (Egg Shape mostly) and have been keeping my eyes open for one. This one does have a few condition issues but the shape was its selling point. I am going to have to replace a couple of the glasses due to chips and a crack in one, but that shouldn't be difficult (I hope LOL)

This Decanter Set is only 8 3/4" Tall.

Decanter1.jpg Decanter2.jpg Decanter3.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  16. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That is very cool, desperate_fun!

17. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Well Greg, when Jadite was at it's peak we sold our collection at Brimfield.
    I had 20 of those eggcups and sold every single one for $40 a pop....in less than an hour.

I still grab 'em when I can as they're still a quick Jackson.

The Jeanette single egg cups are harder to find but bring about the same. I've only had a couple of these over the years.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  18. gregsglass

Hi Don,
    That was during it's heyday that is why the girls were fighting. I had all that stuff CHEAP. Where else good you buy McCoy cookie jars for 10 dollars?
    A lot of my stuff was decended from the family so cost was zero. The other stuff was bought cheap at yard sales and fleas. I moved a lot of stuff and really made money to buy more stuff. The dealers loved me cause I supplied to them, they doubled and tripled their purchases everybody was making money. My biggest seller was Stangl pottery. I even had the owner of the Stangl museum come and buy stuff.
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  19. 'Nuff_Said

Glad to hear, please enjoy.

I also finally got that vintage Spanish two-handled silver cup you were interested in weighed. It's 64.2 grams.

I guess you can say these are "new" finds. These were pulled from a "costume jewelry" lot I posted here a week or so ago. The bracelets were un-marked, but I thought they looked gold. Had them tested, they are! Not sure what era they are from, but my jeweler offered me $125 for both. The brooch is only gold over sterling silver, but the jeweler said the stones (diamond, ruby, emeralds, etc.) are real. I swear, those lots just keep giving...

THREE MORE 001-001.JPG THREE MORE 002-001.JPG THREE MORE 003-001.JPG

20. mymysharona43

That decanter is pretty cool never seen one like that!
    jewelry is kind of like a good button lot...fun to dig in and there is no end to the variety and I am always double checking things I have had. Shoulda bought that lot rats lol
    I have rarely not have some on my desk in front of me...

Draft saved Draft deleted