Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Very nice Barn Owl, I wish I could find some, I keep looking but no luck so far.

Bronwen, Christmasjoy, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  2. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Thank you! It's so weird. No luck in Germany, no luck in the Czech Republic, but finally in England, I found it

Bronwen, Christmasjoy, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

That gives me some hope then. I’m still looking for Angel Skin coral too, thought I’d got some once but turned out to be conch.

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Another not-a-new-find:
    z.JPG

Ivory bookmark 5 1/4" long. Don't know it this would count as NA or not, but I purchased it at the Grenfell Mission in St. Anthony, Newfoundland in the early 1960s.

5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

How wonderful. Love this one! Great value, even with missing stones. :)

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

with that spear tip...I'd put it in a Whaling category...

& What ? no Grenfell rug ????

7. sch3gsd

sch3gsd Well-Known Member

Great find Barn Owl. I'm always on the lookout for saphiret too. Hopefully some day we will both find some.

8. Barn Owl

This seller had a good amount of other Victorian era jewelry too that was way outside my price range. She had set a few boxes to the side, filled with damaged modern and vintage brooches and things for 50 pence-3 pounds each. I also bought some nice Czech necklaces from her (albeit on overstretched strings) and some old brooches. I wasn't expecting much when I picked up this brooch, only to turn it over and feel my jaw come unhinged when I was struck by its stunning blue flash.

9. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Love it, Barn Owl! You could always put two old brilliant diamante stones on either end. We want to see the rest now!

10. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Bingo! Sapphiret does turn up. I've heard tell of a purple version too, but never even seen photograph of any.

12. evelyb30

Got up at 6am to line up to get a number to get inside of an estate sale this morning. I got there at about 7:30 and it started at 9, with numbers at 8. It was loaded with jewelry, including some good stuff. The pieces I went early for to make SURE I got them .... were withdrawn from the same. I managed to find some stuff anyway.(LOL) A little scrap gold, an 18k turquoise and enamel ring, a garnet one that may be older than I thought, orange coral, and a PILE of Native American and Mexican jewelry. A Victorian bog oak and horn??? bracelet, and some other goodies DSCF1747.JPG DSCF1752.JPG DSCF1751.JPG Total spend: $100.

kentworld, kristiaan, Jivvy and 10 others like this.
  13. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELL DONE !!! ... VERY nice items, :) .. Joy.

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Wowzer!!!

kyratango, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  15. Barn Owl

Some more of this weekend's finds. The brooch in the upper left corner is goldstone, while the buckle is wood and chrome.
    thumbnail (10).jpg

16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

you are finding some great stuff Barn Owl:)

17. evelyb30

You done good. I like those Czech beads. If those glass ones in the upper right are on sterling, it wouldn't hurt to check and see if the beads are glass or clear quartz.

18. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

@evelyb30 Check the scarab for Egyptian marks.

[​IMG]

19. Barn Owl

Thanks :) I've been having a string of luck lately after a bit of a dry spell.
    I'll do that. I bought a couple more clear beaded ones from the same seller. I just assumed that they were all glass. Is there a good way to tell?

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  20. HippAntiques

HippAntiques Well-Known Member

No pics yet, but we went to a community yard sale yesterday. We found an 1800s wicker Baby stroller for $17! Needs a little work, but it's about 95% complete. We also found a blue Western Flyer 1958 kids bike for $20.

Draft saved Draft deleted