Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Pictures of my goodies from yesterday. One image is the sterling, or what I'm pretty sure is good stuff. The silver cuff isn't marked but looks hand cast and hand rounded on the ends. The long necklace next to the rock is hematite, carnelian, and a bitty bit of gold. The other shot is all costume, including reverse-carved lucite and a Krementz turtle with an Italian glass body. The pin is wooden and I have NO idea what the animal is supposed to be. The lighter brown bits are almost certainly bakelite. They haven't been tested yet.
    DSCF0108.JPG DSCF0109.JPG

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I love your Queen Mary candlestick.
    greg

pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

img0 (9).jpg
    Do you mean this one? I would guess it's supposed to be a deer.

Figtree3, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Second vote for deer.

Shell cameo, 1930s style:

upload_2018-10-15_3-59-41.png

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Fawn, rather than an adult deer, I think.

Nice millefiori in that brooch.

6. evelyb30

It's a single; I use it to shoot jewelry - works a treat for some rings and a lot of bracelets.

Yeppers. The cameo is shell, but the frame is ... metal. Lordnowswhat, but not precious. I think it's whatever they used for filigree.

Thanks. MCM crazy maybe fawn.(LOL) The turtle is a piece of Krementz - surprised the holy hobgoblins out of me, since I didn't know they used millefiori at all.

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I used to sell a lot of them. Then I found a red set and loved them but ended up selling them for 125 dollars. One hour later I had a lady come back with 300 dollars
    to buy them.:eek::eek::eek::eek: Never found another pair of red Queen Mary candlesticks.
    greg

8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

A Penobscot Indian Basket from the 1920s or so. Poor thing is very dirty, hopefully it will look a little better once I clean it up :)

PenobscotGrnAshGrsBsktSd2Sm.jpg

9. evelyb30

I've never seen red Queen Mary candlesticks at all, even in pictures. The clear ones turn up sometimes, or did. That poor basket Marie found is definitely in need of a good cleaning.

How does one clean a basket like that anyway? I remember my mother dunking an old basket in hot soapy water once, but I doubt that's recommended. It was something my grandparents found in the basement when they bought their house in 1946. When Grandma died in 1979 it was still where the previous owners had left it. Mom washed it and stuck it back for the next guys. For all I know it's still there.

10. Marie Forjan

I asked a local collector, he said to use rubbing alcohol. I plan on dipping a Q-tip in it and clean in and between each and every curl, a lot of dust settled there :sorry:

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  11. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I'd say alcohol will dry the grass threads too much... :)
    Tou may try first to blow the dust with an hair dryer on cool position, while brushing with a SOFT paint brush;)

Fid, Bronwen, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Some things I clean with computer keyboard canned air., but check if chemicals before using.

Bronwen, cxgirl, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  13. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I agree with kyratango. I would use just plain tap water to moisten q-tips.

I have occasionally given my baskets a gentle shower with the hose to get rid of dust accumulation. When baskets are made the "threads" must be soaked in water to soften them up before weaving.

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

What she said.........I've never used an alcohol on any of my baskets ! :eek:
    If anything wet...a damp soft toothbrush.

Bronwen, Christmasjoy, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  15. Marie Forjan

I tried a soft, dry paint brush first but not much came off. I will try a Q-tip with water first and see how that works :shame:

Bronwen, kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sometimes the sweetgrass will hold it's patina.....no matter what you do....

17. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Cutting edge electronics
    hp 001.JPG

18. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I will be watching your listings for these calculators. I think I have all of them sitting on the table behind me. I was hoping to have them listed by now, but it just didn't happen.

pearlsnblume, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  19. evelyb30

I used at least one of those! I still have mine from high school around somewhere. The last I checked it still worked. That one's solar-powered and might even be a collectible now.

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  20. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

They were, once.

Fid and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted