Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Heard back from the seller. They ask if I also installed the video software, say it should all be fine if I do. I downloaded it, but when I try to install, I get an error message saying I don't have any video hardware, even though the gizmo is connected, so forget it. I think as long as the system has issues with some of the basic driver files, only the device manager knows the device is connected. If it is not available to programs, it is the same as not being connected. I should probably just go ahead & reload software from their site. They may have fixed some of the many problems with the version on the disk that comes with the scope.

kyratango and i need help like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Always download drivers. CDs are static: online ones are the latest version and most likely to be compatible.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I didn't read all of the posts in this thread related, so please pardon me if I'm redundant here.

When you installed the driver (or ran the installation), did you right-click and select "Run as Administrator"? Also, sometime antivirus programs interfere with installs. Do you know if the device has up-gradable firmware? It could be a mismatch with the driver on the CD. Was the cable provided by the mfg, or is it yours from something else? Does it show up

Things you could try:
    1. Uninstall the device drivers (check the control panel>Programs>Uninstall a Program and see if it shows up in there first), else, uninstall from Device Mgr
    2. Temporarily stop your antivirus software and reinstall (this time, right-click and select Run as Administrator
    3. If using your cable, try different ones (I had problems with a mismatch on a USB mini cable recently that prevented a device from being recognized)
    4. Try a different (USB?) port (if desktop, sometimes the ones on the back perform differently from the front)
    Today is my estate sale shopping day (and I'm hot to hit the road!), so I won't be checking this thread until this evening.

Good luck, Bronwen!

Agree, always DL drivers from MFG site

4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

@Bronwen @i need help , I don't know what to tell you. Mine hits the return mail today. Jiusion suggested I buy the non-wireless one, but I've not made my mind up. I really need one that works with my phone (which he swears his will do), but I'm rather disappointed in the performance.

I'm a gadget person and willing to tweak and troubleshoot, but ... bugs is bugs.

I probably will try his other one (because it's cheap), but if it is at all buggy, it's going back and I'll look at more expensive options.

kyratango, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  5. Bronwen

That's the one I have, so wait to see if I can get it sorted.

OK, think I may now be sort of an expert on this, at least when using with a PC. Some of what I have learned may apply to use with a phone.

It was very late when I finally got the device connected to the CoolingTech program. I had an image on the screen, but still couldn't take a photo, so wrote Jiusion again with new situation. Was too tired to post an update here.

After fussing around, downloading software from his site (which is a different collection of files) running the .exe file as administrator & having the wizard say it was installed, then not being able to find it anywhere, repeating the process several times, rebooting. I had trashed the original file, but restored it when couldn't get downloaded file loaded. Have no idea where in all this the change got made that made the device available.

The change is that the system is not using Jiusion's drivers; it is using ones it already has, probably because it came with a Camera program. Had I known, I should have connected the device, then allowed the system to find drivers for it. Everything I need to do I can do with the Camera program & PhotoPaint.

Jiusion did get back to me [found reply in spam folder] saying I had to run the Amcap program & specify a location for saving photos. Now that the device was available, was able to do this, except there was no image on the screen to capture. Recalled the instructions about allowing access to 'everyone'. Did that & got an image, but couldn't capture. Repeated the steps for designating a save location & bingo.

Have not tried using the red button on the scope again because can't do it without causing movement in the whole thing. It might be working now that Amcap works. Even clicking on the icon with the mouse, it is very difficult to get a clear photo.

The CoolingTech program appears to have editing features but not be able to take a pic; Amcap takes pix but doesn't edit. I'll use my other programs. Another issue with the microscope is that, like some other microscopes, it produces an upside down image. Camera shows what you see.

Since the phone has a camera, maybe it can use the program for that to run the microscope? Is there anywhere to set which device to use? Does your phone recognize the microscope is communicating with it? The corded model has connectors for 3 different types of ports. Do you have a PC & does it have WiFi?

Tell me your troubles & I'll see if I can help. But see if you can use a different set of driver files & run the scope from your camera program.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    i need help likes this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I fell for one of these cheap ones years ago. was imported to Switzerland by a Chinese that had a Chinese cousin which had a Chinese cousin...
    no refund etc., after a week directly to the bin and bought myself an additional micro-lense for my sony 230 and the pics are brilliant.

cxgirl and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

My camera has super macro that serves well for most of what I need, but some things, like French makers' marks, are just so itty-bitty, as is the engraving on some intaglios.

i need help likes this.
  8. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

@Bronwen I appreciate the offer, but it is already winging its way back to Amazon.

When it was working, I had no problem taking awesome pictures with mine... sadly, the "working" bit was short-lived. It really seemed like an electrical-short-type problem but seller thought it was an issue with the "magic wifi" box.

I'm waiting to make sure I get my full refund before I purchase anything else.

kyratango, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  9. Bronwen

If I find mine is actually useful & it conks out after a bit, will look into getting a better quality one. I have less invested, even got free shipping.

Good luck with whatever you do next. :happy:

Jivvy and i need help like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I use my camera and a 30x loupe when I really need to get in there. There's no problem with compatibility and I already have the loupe.

i need help likes this.
  11. Bronwen

OK. After also gluing the upright of stand so it can no longer swivel in the base, finally got a good picture, using Camera & PhotoPaint, not the Jiusion software, & 40x, lowest magnification. Compare with a photo of the same subject taken using super macro feature with hand held camera:

Pantheress synop.jpg

When Mercutio tells Romeo that Queen Mab is:
    In shape no bigger than an agate stone
    On the forefinger of an alderman,

he means something like this. It is quite tiny. To help you sort it out, it's emblematic of Bacchus/Dionysus: a pantheress with a thyrsus ( a staff carried by the god & his followers) over her shoulder.

kyratango and i need help like this.
  12. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

$avers gave up some goodies yesterday.
    18k articulated fish on a 20” 18k chain for $6.99+, sold it 5 minutes later for $350 to another picker.
    The bookends were $9.99+, I rarely buy bookends unless they made from material taken from the USS Constitution in 1927.
    A025D469-ED7B-41C3-8A5E-77286690D078.jpeg
    60489CE0-1A5B-4789-8566-34E234C06B5D.jpeg
    67070B34-8987-4FBD-BF81-F7724D20C05D.jpeg

13. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Don't have photos but I found another MIJ Elf for Christmas.:)
    And a bunch of brass horse medallions on a leather strap. Now I have to do research to see if I should sell them as a lot or separately. Leather is in bad shape so...
    I may detach them.

14. Bronwen

Based on absolutely nothing, I think you should leave them together. To my mind they have more interest as a little collection and in context. If a buyer wants to take them off, fine. If they just aren't selling and/or you get inquiries about buying individual ones, take it apart.

15. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Thanks for that advice. I appreciate it.
    :)

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  16. Kevin Meade

Kevin Meade Well-Known Member

Found these really cool spectacles yesterday. Both pair are bifocal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

What's the little round blue thing attached on the left?

pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  18. Kevin Meade

It is a spring loaded chain brooch. That is my own special terminology for it.:rolleyes:
    Not sure what it is actually called.

19. Kevin Meade

Found this cool old picture album too.
    Full of pictures of children from back in the day.
    Something like 25 to 30 pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

James Edwin Wilhelm, born 1908, died 1996. In 1930 he was 22 and living with his parents, attending school. By 1935 he was working as on Optometrist.

Draft saved Draft deleted