Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Anund,
    Wonderful buy. I see them selling around here for 75 to 100 each. The ones marked 250 are not moving but the 100 sell.

anundverkaufen likes this.
  2. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Yes indeed Anund. Very cool buy.

anundverkaufen likes this.
  3. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

You'd not sell those chairs to nudists, or are they supposed to be used with cushions?

5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

For a few years now I've been getting junk mail from an upscale clothier in Hong Kong. Don't know how I got on the list. From the same lineage at a sale today.
    1016 hari 001.jpg 1016 hari 002.jpg

yourturntoloveit and Messilane like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Brad , I have those Red Mansion plates....bought new when I had more money that brains.....about 30 Bradfords in all before their heavy handed marketing turned me off that company for good.

What a fool I was to buy into their investment potential !
    At least they're pretty to look at !

7. LeftonGuy

LeftonGuy Well-Known Member

From ebay of course. A BIN option -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kansas-University-KU-Geology-8-oz-Stainless-Steel-Hip-Flask-Jayhawks-AWG-Unused-/141421259485?pt=US_NCAA_Fan_Shop&hash=item20ed5d2add&nma=true&si=OJhP6pIyTbRtXRH4HmG7vO2MkRw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Never seen one before. A geology collectible. The drawing of the funny bird is the G-hawk (instead of Jayhawk) and the original G-hawk (which this is a copy of) was drawn by Raymond C. Moore, a quite amazing man and geologist. He was at KU in 1940. Spoke 8 languages fluently, had a photographic memory, as well as amazing artistic ability. His name is one of my weekly ebay searches. Seller did not know the connection with RCM and this flask, not many people would know (or care). Trying to figure out what AWG is though. Thought a monogram - but can't find anyone associated with KU geology with those initials (I have a list in one of my geology books of KU geology profs and students). Mom said maybe the g stands for geology something today. I hadn't thought about that, so off to do more researching those AWG initials.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    elarnia likes this.
  8. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

Could be The Association for Women Geoscientists.

9. LeftonGuy

"...AWG was founded in 1977 in the San Francisco Bay Area, with approximately 50 members..."

From the AWG site.

10. LeftonGuy

Found an email address to the KU geology department tonight and wrote them an email. Maybe they will know what AWG is and what the date (?) 1940 represents.

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Allied Warships
    USS LSM 400 (LSM 400)
    Medium landing ship of the LSM class
    Navy The US Navy
    Type Medium landing ship
    Class LSM
    Pennant LSM 400
    Built by Charleston Navy Yard (Charleston, South Carolina, U.S.A.)
    Ordered 13 Apr 1944
    Laid down 29 Dec 1944
    Launched 18 Jan 1945
    Commissioned 20 Aug 1945
    End service 17 Mar 1947
    History
    Decommissioned on 17 March 1947
    Transferred to Chili on 20 March 1947

We don't have any commands listed for USS LSM 400 (LSM 400)

12. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Transferred to Chili on 20 March 1947

They made pepper out of it?

Even welding together prefabricated pieces, three weeks is pretty fast shipbuilding.

kentworld likes this.
  13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Maybe my eyesight is totally shot, but the plate on the monkey carving appears to read 'L.S.M 406' - assuming it refers to a naval vessel, on a Wiki page on the rescue/salvage ship USS Reclaimer, there is mention of the 1967 "salvage of South Vietnamese LSM-406 aground at Phan Thiết".

Can't make out the second word, but if the first word is 'Hinh', might mean 'sculpture' or 'model'; if 'Kinh', in addition to being the name of the largest ethnic group in Vietnam, it also has other meanings, some relating to business, trade, economy, etc., but also including 'canal'...

~Cheryl

14. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

your eye sight is not shot...it is 406
    Havnt had much time to search but not sure what connection this has to the ship
    Still thinking a trophy for something...the second word
    I keep thinking it is starting with a E Eaing? Could be wrong on the could be F or...just have not found a thing to link this to the ship

15. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think there was an interest in this genre of painting awhile back. I have a version that is signed but has confusing info about an artist with a different name attached on the back. I think mine is probably 1970-2000 ish. Have no idea about yours though I like yours more. water lilies painting.jpg water lilies painting sig.jpg water lilies painting label.jpg

Armando0831 likes this.
  16. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Here's one by some guy named Monet. Seems he did a bunch.

[​IMG]

17. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

image.jpg
    I did some research on mine a while ago. Since the initials are SLT and the name on the reverso has the last name of Thompson, I decided to look up SL Thompson. Much information came up about an artist from the late 1800s to earl 1900s by the name of Sydney Lough Thompson. He signed his works in many ways, full signature and initials, it red. I'm crossing my fingers that this is indeed one of his paintings. The only thing that throws me off is that his painting style, in the 1900s is different from my painting. He does have earlier works of portraits that don't resemble his later works. I'm crossing all fingers and toes!!

18. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Armando0831 likes this.
  19. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Got the vases today. Both same pattern in different sizes by Marthinsen. The larger one is in decent condition. I don't recall anything in the ad about the trophy one being chewed by a puppy.
    1017 puppy 001.jpg 1017 puppy 002.jpg 1017 puppy 003.jpg 1017 puppy 004.jpg
    I don't think I can work those dings out.

20. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Looks more like a 2 year old with a ball-peen hammer (have seen first hand what that can look like LOL).

Draft saved Draft deleted