Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

@komokwa He has been posted as found/stray with every local vet, on facebook, instagram, a regional lost & found as well as local newspaper. Not one reply on any of those platforms other than "cute dog" etc.

He does seem to have been cared for - had my vet take a quick look/scan for microchip (none) but he still needs a thorough checkup. He was pretty scrawny with ribs showing but has gained a few pounds with regular meals. No worms.

He has had ears clipped but the tail was left alone. He has not been neutered. I'm guessing he is maybe 3-4 years.

I had a sinking feeling a couple days in that no one would claim him & here we are....my best guess is he was left behind or dumped - there are a lot of animals here who suffer that fate, and dog fighting rings are not uncommon. He may have been rejected from such, I don't know - but I do know he is NOT a fighter. One thing for sure, he picked the right human to approach & will be safe & warm & well fed here :D

@kyratango - You know, an ASSISTANT CAT SLAVE is not such a bad idea at all. Thank You!

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Well then.....we have several folks here who have rescued...found, or have had aminamals just walk up to them.....and it turned out ok.
    so...yer in good company !
    Do what ya gotta do.....one way or another !! :):):)

3. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I think he has found his forever home :) .. Joy.

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think the dog thinks he's home. The cats will eventually figure out what to make of him. I.E. another place to sleep.

Today was random estate/moving sale day, as in one popped up at random. I spent $20 on nothing spectacular. The good find of the day was something the dealer threw in with the rest. It's a vintage cultured pearl necklace with sterling clasp. It looks like the standard Japanese fake thing, but guess again. And it's headed to my jewelry hoard.

5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

In a bag of cheap crap at the thrift store. I thought it looked like sterling. cwap 001.JPG
    It is top heavy from the chain around the top. The only marked I can see is a 925 stamp
    cwap 002.JPG
    and 62 written on the bottom , which is the gram weight.

6. evelyb30

I need to find some of that cheap crap! Some high karat gold cheap crap would be OK too.

7. terry5732

I should have sent it to Greg. Those grapes were a bugger.
    cwap 003.JPG
    This is last night's auction. All 14K. The bag is almost a gram. $85.
    cwap 004.JPG
    First sale this morning was good too. Watches $1 each - omega, 14K, 14K, etc. Jewelry $0.25 each - 10K 14K. Fountain pens, knives, lures a buck a piece.

It was a long dry spell. Hopefully it's broken.

cwap 005.JPG
    This International Sterling 'Prelude' is about as heavy as weighted gets. Bent stem. $2.99. I'm going to find out exactly how much sterling is in it.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  8. evelyb30

I just got back from a rummage sale, an estate sale, and a tag sale. Started at 7AM and had to drive half an hour to get there on about three hours' sleep. I'm too dead to know what I've got, but did find a pair of weighted dented silver candle sticks that ought to be worth more than I paid for them...which was about two bucks. Right to the scrapper they go.

9. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

I'm no Mr. N8 but felt the urge to visit a particular local thrift and $15 later......

FullSizeRender.jpg
    The 10" bowl (sadly monogrammed) weighs 238 grams & is marked Wallace Sterling 261-3. The 6" bowl at back left is Manchester Silver Co. (Cross inside Crown mark) and weighs 80g, 6" bowl in front is Gorham and weighs 91.5g.
    The King Edward baby spoon and the gravy boat is plate.

Next is a 2.5 pint sterling pitcher (showing marks; haven't researched yet). Pretty heavy but my scales have sadly

perished. A couple dents on the top rim and also monogrammed. The oblong bowl is Windsor (showing marks). The six individual salts (only four spoons) are only marked Sterling.

FullSizeRender(8).jpg
    FullSizeRender(7).jpg
    FullSizeRender(6).jpg

Happy Hunting, folks!!

10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

11. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Wowzah!

12. terry5732

Another dollar Omega!
    ome 006.JPG ome 004.JPG ome 005.JPG

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Maybe I should pop on over to YOUR house!!:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::rolleyes::rolleyes::)

Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  14. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

15. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  16. Aquitaine

@kristiaan, SO sorry about your fur baby....always a HARD loss to bear....one of our Doxies (in heart failure) is getting closer in that direction.....SO hard to think about.... I hope yours is running free in Rainbow Bridge now! Blessings.
    Sue

zzz5daf88effc7fa9d4892d72a82c993de0.jpg

17. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Holy cow, Rufus! Well done!

18. Aquitaine

Rufus, sounds/looks like you'd better get busy introducing the lot of furbabies!!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

19. komokwa

I'm no Mr. N8........ No.....but yer giving him a run for his money...!! Nice finds !!!

20. komokwa

Draft saved Draft deleted