Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that too moon, must have been something in the water. I heard that ever so ugly sound of a crash and looked in my rear view and a car was sunk into my kids car, grandbaby in back.(Tow truck had to pull them apart) Again all ok but like you said shaken up and my kids are in the dumpster. They have the worst luck....especially with cars. Not sure but possibly totaled again.....they lost so much and went more into debt for this car...now its toast. They'r the hardest working kids with bad luck...just too close to my baby

2. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

WOW what a great score :) Love the bohemian ornament the best :)

3. spirit-of-shiloh

Oh thats awful :( So glad it was not worse than what it was,especially with a baby in the car :( I was rear ended 3 times, hurt worse a couple days after each incident.Then neck surgery, then years later another frwy accident,I rear ended a gal who suddenly stopped on the frwy,then I was rearended and knocked out. My poor car was totaled.

Your family having the same thing happen less than a year ago only compounds the injuries. I hope they all get better. :kiss:

4. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

Sharona, that's so horrible.....won't the other people's insurance pay for them to get another car? They shouldn't have to be out any money at all for this! Tell their insurance company to pay punitive damages also. I was also rear ended last year as well. Same kind of incident. Seems like it happens more often now because idiots are texting all the time when their eyes should be on the road. It infuriates me! One of my best friends texts while DRIVING ON THE INTERSTATE all the time. A few weeks ago a cop puller her over and only gave her a warning. I told her I wished he had ticketed her. She deserves it for putting her life and others in danger.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Amen to that - they should treat distracted drivers just like drunks. They're actually even more dangerous in my opinion, if only because of the sheer quantity of them. It's just too bad driving while stupid isn't a ticketable offense; the local cops could pay for the town's entire education budget.

As for that big box of jewelry, better go through it again. Not all costume is junk. Some costume earrings from the 80s have 14k posts. Some old rhinestone pieces are worth a small mint. The beads molded onto the strings however aren't good for much except ballast.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  6. evelyb30

Get a good look at the bangles too, just in case. If any of the plastic ones feel heavier than the others they could be good lucite... or bakelite. I see one in the box that has me wondering - the orange one on the left side.

7. mymysharona43

I have another daughter who is the texting driving queen. An me bit##in at her has no affect what so ever on her
    Thanks Shiloh! I'v had my share too last about 3 years ago, same deal.

Moon her last car she owed some more than it was worth and didnt have gap...insurance....The insurance companies are the same for her and the other driver this time. They told her today that she will have to file a claim on her side until they get a statement from the other driver HUH? Oh boy the fun begins now...they told her she is not answering her phone now??What sounds absurd to me but learning curve....
    I hate being on the phone, I can't do 2 things at one time. All of my children/son in laws and I are guilty of it. I do refrain when possible but not my kids. It is a real problem you can see many with no clue driving and talking....

8. evelyb30

I didn't hit the gold the way some did, but did score a little. This is a shot of the nicer stuff. [​IMG]
    Engraved with two dates and some initials. Metal untested so far:
    [​IMG]

9. mymysharona43

That looks like a fun box!

10. spirit-of-shiloh

Nice goodies everly...is that carved jet on the far left?

Love the mixed metal bar of blue bells. Had to edit,was thinking of the song bluebells,cockle shells. ;)

11. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I also like the trumpet vase. Haven't a clue as to the maker. I thought there might be a faint marking on our left of the 830S, but on editing the pic could not make out anything. Is there a dent in the monogram on the vase more noticeable in the 1st pic of the vase?

Question to all: What do people use these tall silver trumpet vases for today other than at catered events? I have a lovely sterling Newburyport trumpet vase, but am very limited in a use for it in our household. Nowww if I was into catering then one or more likely several of these would be nice to have. We don't have a large vestibule, large front hall, to use it on a hall console, table, bureau. It is way too big, tall, to use as a centerpiece on the dining table.

Brad, love the ornaments!

--- Susan

12. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

I bought a lot of these at an auction several years ago, I paid about $.25 each for them. Strung them one each on fishing line with some pretty colored glass beads - about 6-8 inches of beads and a 24 inch line to hang from the top of a window - and sold them as sun-catchers for $3-5 each - people loved them.:joyful:

tyeldom3 likes this.
  13. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone!

Sharona, sorry to hear about what happened to your family. That absolutely sucks! I hope all works out for them.

The jewelry was a nice score. Scraped the gold this morning and the large box of junk jewels were dumped on a consigner. We still have the large bag of "bling" that will probably be listed on eBay sometime in the future.

Went to a community yard sale today at an upscale development near my home. Guess what!? Scored some more jewels! :D

I paid $40 for the plastic bin and small boxes full of again, "costume jewelry". I haven't separated the "bling" pieces as of yet, only the precious metals and stones.

The one baggie at left is a mixed lot of sterling silver. The one at right is a 14kt gold and pearl necklace and earring set and a 14kt gold and diamond ring. The bag below are white jade teardrop earrings with sterling silver loops. The bag just below that is a large strand of antique pearls.

These other items were purchased for $58. 3 early-20th C. bookends, 9 early & mid-20th C. books (not shown) and a 19th C. belt buckle. Also got a set of Walter Hagen kids golf clubs with the carrying bag for $10.

YARD SALE FINDS 002-001.JPG

YARD SALE FINDS 003-001.JPG

YARD SALE FINDS 001-001.JPG

14. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I massaged it out a bit before polishing

15. susie

susie Member

16. susie

susie Member

These are wine rinsers and they look Edwardian or late Victorian- what a find!

mymysharona43 likes this.
  17. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Today was my day to find Perfume Bottles. Found 3 Shalimar and 2 L'air du Temps. The Shalimar are all signed differently. The Large one 6" is signed Baccarat, The Medium is signed Cristal Romesnil, and the small one is signed Lalique. The 2 L'air du Temps are both signed Lalique. Not sure if I should clean them out or not. I guess I would just soak them in Alcohol inside. The two L'air are clean, but the Shalimar have perfume residue, 017 (1024x568).jpg .

18. spirit-of-shiloh

I wore L'air du Temps in the 80's, love it, also White Shoulders and Shiseido { Inoui},my fave of all. :)

19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Thank you Susie! You must be catching up on old entries. I did find a sold set of six (different pattern but about the same size) online: £195. That's encouraging. I was planning on listing these individually, in fact they are already scheduled. I'll have to consider revising titles, descriptions... and prices.

20. evelyb30

It's either sterling or plated; I haven't tested it yet. Jet doesn't turn up around here much if at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted