Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

I like those horse related prints.
    Here is what I got in recently, related to horses; a (quiet big!) souvenir of the 1903 exhibition in Brussels.
    [​IMG]

2. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

I often get that question; "what are you looking for?"
    My answer is quiet simple; "profit"!
    There is nothing "easily identifiable", it is all a question of knowing what you buy.

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I agree with Kristin, knowledge is your friend.
    Lots of good information on this forum that can help you while treasure hunting. Here are a couple of threads that are good to read through.
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/great-finishes-share-your-successes-discoveries-w-others.307/

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/an-article-on-sleepers-and-buying.1394/#post-18567

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Experience is your friend. On the other hand I just bought an unmarked silver-plated bowl hoping against hope. It turned out to be a "charitable donation". You might want to read through the incredibly long Finds thread too. One category that's almost guaranteed to come good is "Things not meant to survive"; old ephemera if priced low enough is usually a good bet.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and Joe2007 like this.
  5. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Make sure to know the difference between sterling and sterling-weighted before you get in to deep. Be able to approximate how much silver there is and possibly carry a cheap set of digital scales for this purpose. Candlesticks are usually weighted so make sure you take that into account. Also in silverware sets, knife handles are also weighted and the blade won't be sterling. As others have suggested, study up on silverware hallmarks.

Christmasjoy and Houseful like this.
  6. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Develop an eye for quality, well constructed items and don't be afraid to do some quick research on your phone before you buy. eBay completed sales is a goldmine of info.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Autocat? :joyful:

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Cat on a Roomba?

Christmasjoy, kyratango and Houseful like this.
  9. Bronwen

One way to get a feel for this is to do an eBay search of sold listings for ones that are similar & see what they fetched.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

What do you like ?
    What can you identify?
    The candle sticks are nice, but when we see them here there's always a back and forth over any age they may have.
    A lot depends on what you are going to do with the things you buy....

11. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

Didn’t quite appreciate how active Stoke-on-Trent actually was in the pottery when I was younger. Not surprised it’s nicknamed the potteries now. I live here near tons of factories still around

Love the overlapping and underlapping foliage. Wonder how it got to Vancouver xD

KentWhirled likes this.
  12. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Jaguar! It was too late to edit.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  13. Bronwen

In their hearts, aren't they all? :cat:

Christmasjoy, kyratango and Houseful like this.
  14. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

The easily identifiable are often long gone before you get there. I look for the well made, designed, unusual. Look at items in your local museums, antique shops, books, auctions etc.
    You will make mistakes, everyone does and have to wade through a lot of rubbish to get to recognise quality items that will jump out at you when you get more experienced. It is fun though, mostly.

15. komokwa

Vancouver is in British Columbia.....;);):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nathan Lindop and aaroncab like this.
  16. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I'm also wondering how it got to Vancouver since last time I saw it it was in Virginia :)

17. komokwa

didn't the Virginia militia fight the British ???

18. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Yes they did...but this tile wasn't involved to my knowledge :smuggrin:

Bakersgma likes this.
  19. komokwa

:eek::eek::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

kyratango likes this.
  20. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Vancouver's in Washington! :hilarious:

KentWhirled and Bronwen like this.