Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Thanks Komo:kiss:
    My bargains are always more expensive....
    No thrifts shops here:banghead:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not every deal is $ 7.25......sometimes ya gotta pay up.....;)

Aquitaine, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  3. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Rescued this late Edo/early Meiji Maki-e lacquer stand from $aver$ last week, about 8" tall, 12" diameter. Condition isn't wonderful but I couldn't beat the price, looks better in person too.
    IMG_4875.JPG
    IMG_4871.JPG IMG_4872.JPG

4. anundverkaufen

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Now that's what I call a good buy.

6. kyratango

That’s a beautiful find, so gracious shape and lacquer work:woot:

7. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

OMG Anund, That stand is LOVELY .. TRULY a beautiful item indeed .. What a FIND, Well Done !! .. :) .. Joy.

8. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Noticed the title used by former owner James Fairfax AC. “AC?” Here are wiki possibilities, about 3 of which might have fit the person. Which is correct? I don’t think I’ll feel quite right until I know the answer.

Christmasjoy and anundverkaufen like this.
  9. anundverkaufen

From wiki:
    James Oswald Fairfax AC (27 March 1933 – 11 January 2017) was an Australian company director, philanthropist, and a member of the Fairfax family, an Australian family prominent in the newspaper publisher industry.
    He was appointed an Officer (AO) of the Order of Australia in 1993 in recognition of service to the arts and to the community;[3] and a Companion of the Order (AC) in 2010 for eminent service to the community through support and philanthropy for the visual arts, conservation organisations and building programs for medical research and educational facilities.[4]

10. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I don't post in this thread a lot, in part because I don't buy for resale.
    But I do enjoy - among other things - browsing the CD section at the Goodwill. I often find things that I like to listen to, or replacements for some of my LP records that are either scratched or just taking up space.

But yesterday I found a rather rare CD: "Tommy Potts (1912–1988) was an Irish fiddle player and composer from Dublin who gained iconic status in traditional Irish music circles for his virtuoso musicianship. His music has influences from jazz and classical music, making it a highly individualistic take on the Irish music tradition."
    He only made one commercial recording, at an all-night solo-fiddle session in 1971; the last track was recorded at 4:30 am.
    And I found the CD of that session!
    Here's a couple tracks:

11. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Added this Nelson McCoy Pelican to my collection!

nelson mccoy pelican.jpg DSC00229 cropped.jpg

12. anundverkaufen

I found these at the thrift last week too, there is loads of works by Guo Ziliang and lots of bio. on him on the internet but I could not find one oil painting in this style. Every piece I could find was traditional Chinese watercolor & ink of flora & fauna or calligraphy paintings. Lots of lower sales records of $50-$500 and then recently at the 21st Guangzhou International Art Fair, his Chinese painting Canna Indica costing the most at RMB800,000 (US $127,376)while his Free-spirited Fishman concluded at RMB200,000 (US $31,840.00), both nothing like these.
    IMG_4830(1).jpg
    IMG_4833.JPG

13. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Yet another WOW!

anundverkaufen likes this.
  14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Haven't posted here in awhile. Just have not found much very good. Also do not have a set up for taking good pics right now. Did pick up this block print today by Kaoru Kawano (1916-1965) for $4.50 at one of the thrifts. Pic is swiped from the net. Mine is framed in an original simple silver frame.

kawano.jpg

Also picked up a Baccarat lucky butterfly with box recently for $9.00. Like this one (again, not my pic)....

[​IMG]

15. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

1.99 at the thrift today- Kosta Boda "rainbow" threaded base - B. Vallien.

27190454278_8fc48ebcc0_z.jpg

16. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Cool! Shriners and Man in the Moon. I'm betting the Halloween collectors would like it too.

kyratango and kristiaan like this.
  18. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Great find. Why do you think there were 14 large buttons. Article at your link says a set for a man was 18 buttons (was interested to read that only a few on the front of a vest with 10 would be functional). It also says the subjects were things of interest to men, showing a hot air balloon & mentioning famous men of history.

Not that women are not of interest to men, but is it more likely these were a set for a woman?

l’élite masculine française abandonne progressivement le bouton luxueux du courtisan pour le bouton discret du bourgeois. Parallèlement, le bouton conquiert la garde-robe féminine

The button from the button site looks like ivory. In photos yours look more like porcelain. 'In person' do you see evidence for ivory?

As we say, quite a haul! :happy:

Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  19. kyratango

Ha, Bronwen, I think my set had to be a suite of at least 14 buttons because of the faint engraved Roman number on their back! One bears XIIII (strangely not XIV :bored:).

I think too, as you said, it is a Lady’s set, perhaps illustrating a story of a lady thinking of her lover, sending him dove, etc:joyful:

And yes, very white but ivory, some Schreger’s lines line can be seen :peeking::pompous: on the upper range right big button, in the second pic (the one once cleaned on white background)

Still waiting for appraisal from Drouot Estimations (free online...):smuggrin:

Yep, isn’t it great to get a haul at once? ;)

Figtree3, Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  20. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I've never had a 'haul', in the sense of more than 1 item at a time, but certainly my share of unrecognized treasures at prices below their true value.

Did think I saw some characteristic ivory grain on one button, but couldn't be sure.

Another time, when buttons were a form of jewellery of their own, you bought them as a set & transferred them from old garments to new.

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted