Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

@daveydempsey - you did find a few postcards after all. Any naughty ones? The risque stuff sells nicely.

kristiaan likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Go to Lidl and buy their cheap limescale remover gel. It won't do any harm at all, and it takes limescale off glazed pots very nicely indeed. Or if you want to try vinegar - the bicarb neutralises it, so don't do that - buy Lidl's cheap vinegar, 25 pence a bottle and fill the bowl with it for a few hours.

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

To brighten your day "Beautiful Spring"
    This was from the latest clearance, tucked away in a walk in attic, probably never been used for decades.
    HMV Portable with needles and records.

4. daveydempsey

Not one Naughty, they were a very conservative family.
    Found a few letters from Buckingham Palace and Downing Street though.

5. vintagerobin

vintagerobin Well-Known Member

We had a local online sale that sold a KKK outfit recently. I know this stuff is historic but it rubs me the wrong way. I don't think I would be able to buy or sell it.

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That machine is AWESOME and looks in NEW condition!!!! GREAT find!!!!!!!

daveydempsey and kyratango like this.
  7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Anybody else picture ladies in big hats and chiffon tea gowns and dapper gentleman in suits dancing to this ? :)

daveydempsey, kyratango and Aquitaine like this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I dont know why someone would want stuff associated with so much hate,Nazi stuff either,but there you have it. I did grow up with casual racist stuff like lawn jockeys and mammy stuff all over the place,and even as a kid I thought it wasnt very appropriate. By the mid 70s most people realized and put it away,but there were holdovers like my great aunt who had a lot of mammy kitchen stuff.

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Johnnie,
    I remember the year 1985 very well. I took a really nice Japanese guy who was helping me go through my great aunts Japanese collections to meet her sister my grandmother. My grandmother was very polite and offered us tea. When we were leaving I stopped back to get my camera I had left on the counter. My grandmother had just thrown my friends cup in to the garbage. I was looking at my grandmother and asked why. She said "Pearl Harbour" I hate those Japanese. I was so shocked I did not know what to say.
    greg

johnnycb09 and kyratango like this.
  10. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Thanks OBB,
    I will give it a try, and keep in cupboard for future use just as soon as the snow clears a bit to walk down there.

11. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

My Mother worked for Japanese Citizen Watches back in the 80s here in UK and there were phone calls to her asking about the Company. After confirmation of product origin they said although they liked the watches they couldn’t bear to buy them because they had lost loved ones to sunk ships etc

Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  12. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

Got some thing for music too, today!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

desperate_fun and komokwa like this.
  13. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Spent $30 today

Simple artisan thing of sterling and 14K wire. Anyone recognize it to a certain maker?
    art 003.JPG art 002.JPG
    The rest was mostly just 14K and 750. Those fine chains took a good hour to unknot. art 001.JPG

14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

NICE Cameo!!!! In fact, NICE Lot of stuff!!!!:):):)

Christmasjoy, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  15. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

Nice haul, @terry5732 ! I love untangling jewelry - just ask my cats aka the Tangle Gang :rolleyes:

Same here; wouldn't be able to profit from such. My medals were inherited - in a steamer trunk full o'stuff - & will go to a museum someday.

16. daveydempsey

@kristiaan

I found these invoices among hundreds if not thousands of pieces of ephemera in the latest clearance.
    Uniforms made for Belgians, Russia and British African regiments.

The recipient was man from the Tanganyika British Embassy who died in 1935.

img076.jpg

img075.jpg

17. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

Hey Davey, most interesting!
    If you find one treating about Belgian uniforms or anything related to, I would be willing to buy it!

Christmasjoy and daveydempsey like this.
  18. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

$8.00 of fun today
    55 001.JPG
    New old stock Parker failures from 1965
    55 002.JPG 55 003.JPG

19. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I wanna shop where you shop !!
    Great finds......the little phone...& microphone are deeelishious.....

kyratango and Huntingtreasure like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted