Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Haven't posted to this thread in quite awhile. Have been buying but just haven't had time, nor have been home to post. Will post some highlights in multiple posts. Pics were mostly hastily shot in the basement at my home away from home so not quite the quality I usually post.

Will reserve this post for art. Picked up several paintings from the 50s-60s from the dumpster behind the thrift store. Went inside the next day and they had similar paintings inside with prices. The ones in the dumpster had some rougher frames and were a bit dirtier but not so much that they should have been pitched. I missed out on a couple good ones inside but did buy one and passed by some others I did not like as well.

Here is the one I bought for $10.00. Odd surreal thing. What is that black and white thing in the waves? Signed Kella. 18x24
    stuff1369.jpg

These other Kella paintings all came from the dumpster. There is a 4th that went directly to the store. The first two are fairly small. the last one is quite large. Maybe 30 x 20.

stuff1368.jpg stuff1370.jpg stuff1371.jpg

This also came from the dumpster. Signed Elsie Hurt and dated 1962. About 16 x 20.
    stuff1372.jpg
    This block print is by Edward H. Suydam (1885-1940) and is titled Trade Winds. Sight size 12 x 9. Bought at a garage sale for $4.00. stuff1357.jpg

This large signed and numbered limited edition print is by CA artist Russa Graeme (1919 - 1995). It is titled Summer Rain. Bought at the thrift for $12.50.
    stuff1367.jpg
    These three dimensional carved shell with enamel pictures are Chinese. About 3' tall. Bought for $5.00 each at the thrift. I don't usually buy such things but the size and detail on these made me think twice.
    stuff1380.jpg stuff1380a.jpg

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  2. verybrad

More from the thrifts unless mentioned otherwise ......

Domart bakelite sewing box. The tray inside spins to reveal a second layer of compartments underneath, one by one. Full of thread and other supplies. Bought for $3.00.
    stuff1358.jpg

This blue threaded bottle vase fades from blue to clear. Has a ground pontil mark. About 9" tall. Chinese or better? Bought for $1.00
    stuff1359.jpg

This Japanese porcelain lamp is newer and not quite as good as it looks at first glance. Couldn't pass it by for $5.00.
    stuff1363.jpg

Bought 5 of these unmarked Victorian tiles (2 shown) for a buck each.
    stuff1364.jpg

Picked up 6 different 1962 Seattle World's Fair glasses for $2.00. Like new condition. Didn't unwrap them all for the photo.
    stuff1365.jpg

Working touch-tone phones were $3.00 each.
    stuff1373.jpg
    Large silverplate champagne bucket is unmarked. Bought for $3.75.
    stuff1374.jpg

Hand painted Noritake plate was a buck. Art glass ice bucket with tongs is likely Chinese. Bought for $3.00. Hand made wood bowl from a log section was $3.00.
    stuff1377.jpg
    These wheel cut cordials are in a set of 12 with 4 different patterns. Set bought for $2.00.
    stuff1376.jpg
    This ball pottery cookie jar was $3.00. What looks like a crack around the handle is glaze separation. Maybe Bybee?
    stuff1379.jpg

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

How funny to see the Space Needle and Key Arena in your Finds, Brad!

LOVE those tiles!

KingofThings likes this.
  4. verybrad

Last batch. All from the thrifts unless mentioned otherwise.

Small Yixing Teapot was $3.00. Have to research yet so it might end up in the pottery thread.
    stuff1360.jpg

This torchiere shade came from the dumpster. Someone set it right on top so as not to get broken. About 16" diameter so a big one.
    stuff1361.jpg

This tile top table was $8.00. Haven't researched maker. Wood parts typical of CA makers but those tiles look more like Fulper. Got some help there from little kitty, Herman. (Hint: table is not miniature ;))
    stuff1366.jpg

This wheel cut goblet came in a set of 12 for $6.00. As before, didn't unwrap all for the pic. Recognize maker?
    stuff1375.jpg
    stuff1375a.jpg

I probably paid too much for this pot at an outdoor market but was intrigued by it. Will post in PGP. Bought for $9.00.
    stuff1378.jpg

This Heywood Wakefield desk was $30.00. Has both a brass tag and paper label. Great condition and a good buy. stuff1381a.jpg
    stuff1381b.jpg

5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

The blue pot is gorgeous... I would have picked it up for 9 bucks too.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not if I got there first, and I don't even "do" ceramics. On the other paw, the best thing in the finds images is of course Herman - named for the obvious? The original was an art fancier, if too large to be a cat burglar, too.

7. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I love the old sewing box :) .. and the blue art deco-ish pot, great buys on all of it Brad, .. Joy.

Ghopper1924 and KingofThings like this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Great finds, all -- Herman is the cutest!

Ghopper1924 and KingofThings like this.
  9. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

As cheap as they were, I actually like those paintings. I think the guy had talent!

10. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

Had some fun this weekend. Picked up a bean pot, Minton plate of unknown pattern but always pretty for serving; stonecraft (?) polar; bear; nice repro china cat; 2 Tiffany silverware rolling wrappers, AND 6 plastic boxes with lids THAT MATCH MY OLD SET AND FIT MY CLOSET PERFECTLY. All for $11.

IMG_0783.JPG

11. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Thing in the waves might be an Orca?

12. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I really like the little maneki-neko.

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

AKA the porcelain FeedMe PetMe. (Unless that's Genie the Houdinicat sitting here indicating she's feeling ignored)

14. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Do you have some of those Bakers? I'm sure I do.

15. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

As a matter of fact I don't. Every time I see Fair stuff listed in an estate I go as early as I can - and it's still already gone.

On the other hand, I have a whole bunch of Alaska Yukon Pacific Exposition postcards (and a few other things) that my 2X great grandmother sent or brought back to my grandmother in Brooklyn when she came out here in 1909 to visit her brother. ;)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  16. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

17. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

DSCF0004 (3).JPG
    Me too.

I have 2 of those here for good luck and such. Mine are a bit different looking though.
    Not a great photo and these are not new to me but just for show.

Very nice finds everyone.

18. aaroncab

Today's goodies:

Indonesian? cigarette dispenser - probably not that old but was 3 bucks so I couldn't resist.

Big heavy frosted goldfish vase - again - too good of a deal to pass up.

Tall pitcher with cut flowers and polished pontil.

Side handled clay teapot

Milagros cross

Tole painted enamel brooch

Little brass/bronze seal souvenir from the Cliff Inn (EDIT - Correction - Cliff House ) in San Francisco.
    Interesting opaline? glass mug with sailboats marked E.W. C. INC on bottom

Japanese ocean motif porcelain mug/jar.

None of it screams very old but scored the whole lot for under 20$ so I'm happy.

~

36658833090_d097c9d9cf_k.jpg

19. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Nice!
    :)
    Isn't that the Cliff House?

20. aaroncab

Yes - Cliff House - my brain malfunctioned whilst typing.

Draft saved Draft deleted