Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

DSCF5796.JPG Today's haul, minus an earring the sellers left out of my bag. I have to go get the other 14k half hoop tomorrow. The hearts are gold too, and the fraternity pin probably is but isn't marked. Weighs a ton for its size though. The money clip is costume. The moon shape and Navajo pearl earrings however...not so much. The house was some dentist's with too much money and no sense apparently. They bought a dining room table made of two big pieces of rock. It weighs 500 pounds, no joke, and is probably being sold with the house. No one wants to move the thing!

2. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

He spent a lot of time in Japan. He always bought the best. Probably lost Mikimotos in that craps game.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Ever notice how it's OK for sailors to be tossed overboard and no one thinks anything of it, but they spend vast sums trying to find and send home the body parts of army and air force guys?

4. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

Marko - Sorry for your loss; and glad you have your memories.

Marko, Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

???
    It isn't ok. In the past it's been a matter of necessity at sea sometimes and choice at others.
    Other services also have a duty to recover their dead as possible.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  6. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Do they still do that, toss sailors overboard?

KingofThings likes this.
  7. KingofThings

At war and dire circumstances probably yes...but not normally and today we have better refrigeration.
    And it's far from 'tossing'.
    The US Navy has much more in regard to how this is carried out and in other ceremonies such as retirements.
    Many sailors request that they be buried at sea long after they have served.
    I have 'stood by' in my whites for 1 or 2 of these ceremonies off Hawaii.
    Men who served on the USS Arizona have requested and are still being interred aboard her.

8. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I was at the local farmers' market today, and a few folks had set up tables of other-than-produce... I picked up this 9" x 6" box of "brass buttons and stuff" (that's how it was labelled!) for $5:

img0 (144).jpg

I may have some questions once I have time to look through it.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

5 Bucks???.........you thief you !!!!!!!!!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Great find !!!!!:happy::happy:

Ohhh, I think I see Navy stuff there !!!...( KOT )!!

The wings alone...2 I see ...would have been worth the price !!

Good find !!!

10. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Look at the back of the wings as they are quite often sterling. :greedy::greedy::happy::happy::happy:

Nice find & good eye. I think she has been lured back over to the dark side once again. See what just 1 successful trip to a thrift shop will do to you. ;):eek::rolleyes::jawdrop::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin: :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

11. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Oh, Peggy - that was EXACTLY what I was afraid of!!!

Now tell me, how much do I NEED MORE STUFF???

I honestly can't believe that I bought this box, and I also cannot believe everything that's in there! Buttons aside -- I haven't even looked at them -- just about everything that isn't marked STERLING is marked 1/20 10K.

Lots of military stuff, plus the most amazing little pair of sterling, enamel & glass foxhunting cuff links!

It's going to be a fun project, for sure.

12. komokwa

13. komokwa

14. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Where is KOT??? You know he is going to want to see every last thing that is in the box. :jawdrop::eek::p:p:p:rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D

You absolutely have to post the cufflinks!!! They sound adorable. :happy::happy::happy::happy:

...& BTW if you still have floor space you do not have too much stuff!! ;):p:p:p :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

15. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

There's a car show in the area today. Would not surprise me if that's where he is.

KingofThings likes this.
  16. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

You absolutely have to post the cufflinks!!! They sound adorable. :happy::happy::happy::happy:

Peggy, I just posted them on the JEWELRY board. Awful photos, I'm afraid, but the light is gone for today. They ARE just darling - and my dear daughter the equestrian appears to have claimed them already!

17. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

King, I see that you're back! I think MOST of the stuff in the box is NAVY, but I'm sure you can tell me for certain.

Got to go now, but I'll be back late tonight.

-C-

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  18. KingofThings

Steal indeed! :)

SBSVC likes this.
  19. KingofThings

Looks to be. :)

SBSVC and komokwa like this.
  20. KingofThings

Actually....I'm slaving over my 'new' fourth generation drag racing jacket. I've pulled everything off the old one and just finished pinning various and race event patches on both upper sleeves and right front.
    I stopped because my back hurts. :p

pearlsnblume, SBSVC, lloyd249 and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted