Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

The Chinese items appear to be fairly modern. No offense, but I see that type of decorative Asian imports in most of the flea market I hunt.

2. FunkeysFinds

FunkeysFinds Well-Known Member

Nice to see everything, Brad - thanks for sharing the pics and the update! :happy:

Nice finds, Nuff, Sharona and Terry. I know that is gets said often, but folks like Terry, Brad and others, see value in things that I never would or 'could' and I know it goes likewise. I am itching for my big flea market shopping adventure not this weekend, but next. Itching... itch. itch. I'm sure I will have some goodies to post. Last time they had it, I walked by a gentleman in his p/u truck who had nothing, walked back by him 10-minutes later and he was pulling out a collection of framed antique gold-filled pocket knifes, all from his family (I think there are 10-11 - yes, all in the basement, lol). And got a collection of gold and gold-filled filled lapel pins. 50.00 for all.

'Nuff_Said and mymysharona43 like this.
  3. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Thanks AF, Don and Davey.

Yup, those little red points are hands, a Cocktail Kaleidoscope it is and it's in perfect working order. Downside, it is a lady's watch, as the men's pieces sell much better.

Nice jewels as always, Sharona.

@mr2real, No offence taken. And thank goodness for folks like yourself who see these items at fleas and past them by thinking they are modern imports. :)

The blue and white Chinese prunus vase is usually associated with the Kangxi (1662 - 1722) Period......especially given the double-ring underglaze blue mark on base. But judging from the cobalt blue decoration, the heavy & thickly potted porcelain body and the way the footrim has been grinded down, this piece is clearly not of that early period......but of a later period, 19th C. And in my opinion, late-19th C.

Almost the same as above applies with the Chinese sancai and turquoise glazed figures. Most often associated to an earlier period, but judging from the style, form, glaze, mark and decoration, of a later period, 20th C. And in my opinion, from the Republic (1912 - 1949) Period.

For $6 these items were a good buy. Not of any great value, but will sell for much, much more than $6.

ASIAN CERAMICS 002-001.JPG
    ASIAN CERAMICS 003-001.JPG

4. 'Nuff_Said

This Cambodian lime vessel in the form of a caparisoned elephant probably dates to the Angkor (802 - 1431) Period.

ASIAN CERAMICS 001-001.JPG

5. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

I agree everyone has their nitch, Brads is very different but I like it and he is good at displaying and executing it. My likes have changed although I will always like jewelry and don't wear a stitch of it....Sounds like a good score on the knives/pins!

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  6. mymysharona43

Wow pretty cool!

7. mymysharona43

And I hope it stays on topic, I have to work so lets see some more finds!!! Bye

8. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

I'm sure your knowledge of Chinese ceramics is far better then mine. I was going by comparisons that I've seen in the past (as we know Chinese ceramics are vastly reproduced). The bottom of your vase does look promising. As for the Foo Dogs I've ran across most have been similar to these - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pai...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 .

9. mr2real

mr2real Active Member

Well today I am terribly disappointed at Crocker Farm. After corresponding back-and-forth via email and sending them over 20 photos of this piece, I finally sent the piece and signed contract to them. I received an email today saying they now believe it is 19th century German stoneware and they are mailing it back to me. Now I am out $66 which it cost to insure and mail to them. I don't think I could ever bring myself to conduct business with this company in the future.

If not Anna, does anyone have any thoughts as to who might have made it? Westerwald? The only marking is initial W.K., which was thought to stand for Wallace Kirkpatrick.

10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Im so sorry ! They certainly dropped the ball on that one. :(

11. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

That totally sucks, mr2real. I've been disappointed in a similar way, if that makes you feel any better. Don't want to go into details, but $350 in the hole on something that fooled even a few auction houses (and me!).
    Here's a nice little watercolor I bought. It's signed but I can't make it out. Don't have it in my possession just yet.
    [​IMG]

cxgirl likes this.
  12. 'Nuff_Said

Hey, don't be too hard on yourself, we all had or have these types of experiences. A couple of years ago we lost $1.2K thinking we just knew what we were purchasing was good resalable Asian ceramics. Not! Sh!t happens...

I wouldn't be too hard on Crocker's as well. They are one of, if not the most reputable auction house in the country when it comes to these types of wares. It's very difficult to give a proper evaluation of an item from just images sent via email. No matter how good, clear and sharp these images may be. Having an item in-hand is the only way to properly evaluate such pieces.

Anyway, I did a short search and really didn't find much. I did find this 18th C. Virgin and Child stoneware figure with a somewhat similar glaze. Yeah, I know, it doesn't really help you much, but that's all I could find given the time spent.

Link: http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/opa...html?&priref=73060&_function_=xslt&_limit_=10

STONEWARE.jpg

13. 'Nuff_Said

With a bit more time and research, you might be able to turn-up a number of comparables.

14. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

findstupots.jpg Tyleldom: Thanks, haven't gotten to that doll yet. mr2real: Bummer
    Posting finds not of late, but finds that went into my personal collection Calif studio pottery. All listed artists from 1950s-1970s.

15. johnnycb09

Looking at those reminds me of a Scheier bowl I had,and still bitterly regret selling. Who is the blue one on the end by ?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  16. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Laura Andreson

17. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

I have scheier regret too. In the early ninties, I didn't buy a really nice and large chalice shaped bowl with incised design, seller wanted $50 for it and I passed because of some very minor damage.

18. johnnycb09

Ooo,I just googled her,LOVE her stuff ! Lucky you !

19. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Thanks! I use different process depending on the piece. Lately, I have been doing quite a bit if satin latex applied with a brush. I have been mostly mixing my own colors. If I do a highlight color, I just barely dip the brush in the second color and brush it out dry. Other times I will distress with sandpaper and recoat with stain and wax. If I use spray paints, I can use lacquer thinner to distress rather than sanding. I have on occasion taken a blow torch to paint to create the distressed look.

I have also been experimenting with spray paints for different effects. Lightly spraying a second coat from a distance gives a two tone speckled effect. I have also masked areas to create patterns or have done some free-form stripes with the spray. I have experimented some with two-tone metallic finishes.

Here a nightstand where I thought a bit out of the box.....

stuff973a.jpg

20. johnnycb09

From a wannabe decorators point of view,I like that very much !

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted