Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

great finds Funkey! I love the snowy owl mug

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  2. FunkeysFinds

FunkeysFinds Well-Known Member

Thanks cxgirl! Emma Bridgewater is a great name to watch out for.

I hit what they call 'markets' here, and it was a very successful day. Lots of neat stuff for the house and this is what I came home with for resale:

[​IMG]

Minus a Van Briggle vase for $10.00 in one of these bags I'm keeping, everything cost exactly $100.00.

I'll post a few more pics tomorrow or Monday after I unpack and I apologize for the quality of the pictures. I have a new phone (specifically to take pictures for listing) and I'm still learning how to successfully use the camera. Not well yet. :facepalm:

The antique Burgess & Leigh cake plate was $2.00:

[​IMG]

This is a varied collection of vintage flatware (25 pieces, $25. dollars) - every piece is from a hotel, tavern, restaurant, etc. and marked. Only a few are the same establishment, most all are different.

[​IMG]

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Nice. Now where's the VanBriggle? :panda::panda::panda: At least one of us got something really good today. I got a small piece of sterling of no particular merit except the metal weight, a small Limoges box that my sister is getting, a print that needs reframing desperately, and a vintage French 60s purse. And sewing needles. Those aren't worth much, but a friend collects sewing stuff and the packets are cool.

4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Had a lovely morning, this lot for £11. Nice blue john earrings, and I love the bird brooch.
    The only downside is that the georgian paste cufflinks aren't the same, the bridges are different and the size and cut of the paste. They were in a box of bits but I would have bought them anyway.~
    The bangle is RG made for Harrods byExcaliber.
    image.jpg

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think the Burgess is an underplate, rather than a cake plate.

I grabbed a few things today. ;)

Colibri Christofle lighter, £3. A necklace made by some unknown maker and I keep finding similar ones, but who dunnit? A rather nice arctic fox, porcelain and bisque. Some bling. H04A.jpg H04B.jpg H04C.jpg H06A.jpg H06B.jpg H06C.jpg H07A.jpg H07B.jpg H08A.jpg H08B.jpg

6. Ownedbybear

Oh, and these which are now being digested. Yum.

H09A.jpg

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Nice pick on the lighter !!!!!!!!

KingofThings and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

I haggled, would you believe!

9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

the bird brooch is lovely:) Is it glass? Looks like intaglio glass.

KingofThings and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. komokwa

neat new avatar...CX !

KingofThings, Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks Komokwa - he hangs out in my yard:)

12. komokwa

& you know it's a he........because ????:hilarious::hilarious:

13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol, because his name is Sam:)

14. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Sam can be Samantha...
    -
    I like the fox. :)

15. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol, true but isn't in this case:)

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

I like the fox, too. I'm surprised he isn't signed though. He rather reminds me of an anime character.

KingofThings likes this.
  17. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Not glass. Looking online I typed in plastic but see others say 40s Lucite. The intaglio birds/florals have a white pearly paint, some of which has flaked off. Others designs seen are swans, roses etc, look great against a dark garment.

kyratango, KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My guess is reverse-carved and painted Lucite/Perspex. It was a craft taught to GIs in rehab hospitals and it later became popular as a craft for a lot of other people and as a manufactured item. Odds are this is a little later than the 40s, but it's gorgeous. I'd have jumped all over that and the blue john, which NEVER turns up here in the USA. I've found one small piece in the last decade.

19. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

IMG_6573.JPG IMG_6574.JPG IMG_6575.JPG I picked these at the GW yesterday because they were a pair, no chips, had their Haeger labels and I just liked them. :)
    With sand in them they'd make nice bookends. :)
    But....... why the holes in one end? I've my guesses.
    Do you know or want to guess? :)
    -

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  20. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Hey, King, those are cute! 1950's, maybe? (Honestly, that's really just a guess.)

I googled Haeger stork cradle planter and saw quite a few, in pink, blue, and white.

One person called it a planter/wall pocket, which I guess would allow for use of the hole at one end(?)

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted