Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

My snakes do have a holes where tongues would fit. There are no signs of a base and no mark. Maybe a knock-off?

The one shown appears to be more detailed than yours so I am inclined to agree about it being a knock-off.

Did you have any luck finding the tea tumblers? I couldn't see the pattern well enough, but Libbey did have a stem with that ripples at the bottom of the bowl.

KingofThings likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay in getting back but just had a chance to look. You were right on. I have not identified the pattern(s) yet but will get to it eventually. I will save these for an ebay listing this Fall rather than put them in the store.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. verybrad

Thanks. I had photographed the interior but didn't post due to the 10 picture limit. Also took a pic of the other one with the light showing through.
    stuff1347b.jpg

stuff1347a.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  4. verybrad

I think I do want a hole in it since the bottom is just clear glass. I have ground holes through glass with a drill before and know it is a tedious process. Since the bottom is about the size of the hole I want, I was wondering if I could just grind off the entire bottom of the bowl with my belt sander?

KingofThings likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The inner shell of the abalone is an iridescent swirl of intense colours, ranging from deep cobalt blue and peacock green to purples, creams and pinks

I think Red Abalone...

KingofThings and verybrad like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Went to the local Ill Will today not expecting much. Didn't find tons, but this little girl turned up. She's fully marked for Arezzo Italy .... in 18k. The eyes are probably chrome diopside. Sorry about the blurry mess of the hallmark, but it's bitty. I just tried finding the website for what I think is the retailer, but it went to one of those phony virus warnings that lock up your browser. DSCF5395.JPG DSCF5396.JPG

7. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

A few recent purchases. The first two were from auction and the third (early McCoy pottery) was from an antique mall.

ohio-law-book.jpg wwii-bookmark.jpg early-mccoy.jpg

8. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

The Ohio Laws Made Plain book by The Whitehouse State Savings Bank in 1924 a mere five years before the USA stock market crash (Great Depression) looks like it could be very interesting.

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  9. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Maybe...
    I wouldn't get it too hot.
    Sounds scary.

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I was working on this before everything around here went nuts. Went into the sewing disaster area/craft room/crap room, only to find Her Imperial Furriness had decided it would make a good cat bed. She has also decided that she prefers my finger nails to the cat brush for removing stray fur. That involves me standing over her, jackknifed (I'd kneel but I'd need a forklift to get up) and scratching a golfball of compressed fur off the cat every night.
    DSCF5392small.jpg

11. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Evelyb, my Joseph (in my avatar) prefers a ZOOM GROOM, even over fingers (which he dearly loves, too!) The one I use on him is about 35-years-old, but they still make them. They're cheap, and you can get them online and at Petco & the like. I'll bet her highness would like one, too!

img0 (97).jpg img0 (98).jpg

Messilane, tyeldom3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. komokwa

When I did that I'd wet my hand first...the fur sticks better !

13. komokwa

I ended up using that on Puss-Cat.....( all Puss-Cat all the time..) ..and at first he balked cuz it kinda tugs a bit.....but I stopped pulling in long strokes and more like fluffed him up , which made him more comfortable.....& the fur came off in BALES..... !!!

crop-puss.jpg

14. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

This isn't about fur but just feel like saying something about my huge male cat, now deceased. His name was Henry .. OR "Mummy's Darling baby boy" :). He would walk by his dish and if it was empty, or not enough there for his big guts he would literally freeze up, just like those falling sheep do, and land heavily on his side with a resounding Thud!! he would lay there not moving as if to say "look what you've done to me .. you've killed me!!" only the sound of the can opener in use .. or the rattle of the bag of Bosleys special Dry Cat Mix would revive him :) Spoiled or what ??? Joy.

15. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Evelyb, that cat brooch is fabulous, and I love your furry kitty!

I was in a different neck of the woods visiting my uncle in long-term care yesterday. I visited a different thrift shop, not much for jewelry, but I found this teapot. The S&H green stamp emblem caught my eye and I was buying it for that alone, but then I googled Shelley teapots and was very surprised. There are no chips on the outside, but the lid has a very small one inside at the very bottom rim. View attachment 78283

20170627_202342 (640x477).jpg

View attachment 78283

16. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

You all find so many treasures. I am so happy to always read thru this thread and see what is found on your treasure hunts.
    Love the purple cow.

Bad pickings here of late.

17. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

18. komokwa

nah...just a cast...being a cat !!!
    It's what they do....and why we love em !!

I'd open a can...the cat would be bumping into my leg...purring like well oiled machine..
    I'd say....CAT....it's chunky soup...it's not for you......but still...he;d have to see it and sniff it......before trotting away....upset that it wasn't his favorite can of white tuna !!

19. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

As promised to Ladybranch in another thread. :)
    I got the belt at the same time but obviously it doesn't go with the girl's costume. :)
    ~
    There are a few small oil(?) spots and a tiny ink spot.
    ~
    IMG_1013.JPG IMG_1012.JPG IMG_1014.JPG IMG_1015.JPG IMG_1016.JPG IMG_1019.JPG IMG_1020.JPG IMG_1021.JPG IMG_1022.JPG IMG_1023.JPG

20. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Nice....and still 2 more than I bought :shame::eek:

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted