Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Thanks, Bear! Good to know!:)

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I had no less than six chopping boards as wedding presents. ;)

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ah, that's my Panasonic Lumix on macro. It's rather good at stuff like that.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think I had the matching shirt.

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  7. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I think you're right on with the Horus. Very interesting indeed.

8. Ownedbybear

I think it might well be a Horus, looking at it. The more I look, the more I agree it's an ancient scarab, not a repro.

I can't see any signs it's been drilled - given how fragile faience is, drilling would have shattered it. The pin is obviously not as old as the scarab may well be - it's tarnished, might be silver. I'm also now looking very hard at the blue/green beads, especially the smaller ones. Not sure the oval yellow ones are as old as the scarab, but I think the blue/green ones may be.

You can buy ancient scarabs here and also ancient beads - I gave a friend a necklace made from four thousand year old Egyptian beads as a birthday gift.

This thing may have to have a little trip to the British Museum sometime. It's bein kept, anyhow, I like it a lot. Especially for about three dollars. ;)

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

If you find out more, let us know.

Aquitaine, cxgirl and aaroncab like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Absolutely I will.

cxgirl and aaroncab like this.
  11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I remember when visiting Egypt in the early 1960s those ancient faience scarabs were for sale all over the place. I bought a dozen for I think a dollar. You could always tell the old from the new. The old had tiny missing pieces the new were all perfect. I bought a 3" long one for me but it has gone missing over the years.
    greg

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

There are so many of those scarab beads out there with so much variety that I don't see how any lay person can tell the old from new. Of course there are the obvious fakes but a lot of the newer ones are pretty convincing. Also, now many of the fakes have decades of legitimate age to them.

Here is one I have that was purported to be old when I got it. It is a bit different than most you see and the execution is very good. It is only 1/2" long.

stuff1301.jpg

stuff1301a.jpg

aaroncab likes this.
  13. aaroncab

I found piglet today... bronze ...bout 4 inches high not counting the base. Unsigned(as far as I can tell) and can't find another one of him online yet.

~

33140765902_25eb87d400_k.jpg

14. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Here's one that sold at auction (with another that is supposed to be Pooh) ... but also no info as to maker.
    https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/22434017
    upload_2017-3-6_21-38-40.jpeg

15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Bunch of things to show this week. All are thrift store finds unless mentioned otherwise.

Set of 7 Libbey Autumn Leaves glasses that look like they have never been used. Bought for $2.50.
    stuff1308.jpg

Thought this little luster sauce boat with underplate would be Japanese so surprised to find a German mark on it. I continue to buy things like this that are unsaleable but how can you pass this up for 59 cents?
    stuff1307.jpg

I had another of these bronze bookends with the letter B that I just had to discount heavily to sell. At least these with the W are my own last initial. If they don't sell, I can keep them. Bought for $4.00.
    stuff1306.jpg

These 12 Peruvian .925 silver cocktail picks were given to me by a friend since she was going to donate them.
    stuff1305.jpg

I am not sure why I bought this glass tray other than it is one heavy chunk of glass. Roughly 9' x 7" x 1". The rim is 3/4" wide. Maybe a dresser tray? Bought for 75 cents.
    stuff1304.jpg

This console bowl is 13" diameter and very heavy. I assume MCM and probably Italian. Will post on PGP with more pics for some opinions. Bought for $5.00.
    stuff1300.jpg

This Mexican pitcher is perfect and at 9 1/2" not insubstantial. Could not leave it sit for 75 cents.
    stuff1303.jpg

Bought a slag glass lighted smoking stand for $20.00. This is an identical one that I snagged the pic from the internet to show since I did not get it photographed. Mine is missing the lighter but is otherwise complete. It needs rewiring just as this one does so I need to do a little work on it before selling. I found a glass furniture caster that fit the hole for the lighter so it won't be empty. Should be good profit in this.
    stuff1299.jpg

I bought this painting off one of the other dealers in my group shop for $100.00. Size is 20" x 24". It is by listed CA artist Ray Platt and dated 1928. The frame might be worth nearly as much as the painting so hope to do pretty well with this.
    stuff1302.jpg

kentworld, Figtree3, aaroncab and 5 others like this.
  16. aaroncab

17. quirkygirl

Wow ... ha ha ... OK ... Thanks!

18. aaroncab

I looked around for almost an hour - what search terms did you use?

KingofThings likes this.
  19. quirkygirl

I had to use ... bronze winnie the pooh figurine, with no mention of "piglet" because otherwise, there were way too many pig statues having no connection to the literary character.

komokwa, KingofThings and aaroncab like this.
  20. aaroncab

Excluding piglet in a search for piglet...I never would have thought :) See - you are indeed amazing.

Figtree3, quirkygirl and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted