Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I have a blacklight somewhere, Bear.... I will hunt for it. They are very lightweight. Komokwa, the coins seem to be aluminum, not really coins, they clean up with silver polish, also very lightweight.

KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  2. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Click on the ebay link I provided..... very similar.....

KingofThings likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yup....but i'd still like to rub them on my front teeth ! :rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Is there a front tooth test for amber? :)

KingofThings likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it would feel different than resin.......& maybe i'm just peckish !! :hilarious:

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not to be touching the amber with teeths, pleases. ;)

If it IS butterscotch, you've done very very well. It's used widely for prayer beads.

KingofThings and aaroncab like this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Hm. Flat with some carved work on it, i'll get a photo in the morning. What's in your head about it? Under a loupe, it does seem to have more age than I thought.

Also interesting: those blue glass beads are bright green in artificial light.

KingofThings and aaroncab like this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think it might be ancient.

10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Well, believe it or not, I have a couple of things to post, but I'll put them in two different posts because of the number of pix. I decided to open an etsy store to try and move along my "basement" items that have been kicking around far too long. To my surprise, I've actually sold a couple of things. To my dismay, I apparently don't guesstimate too well on shipping costs! Thank goodness for the day job, eh?!

Anyway, I had a fun morning yesterday schmoozing with some sellers at a "vintage" fair. Who knew that vintage clothing is so popular? Not my thing, but I am loving all the nostalgia for the things from my childhood that are cropping up!

So first is a funky find: a melamine book holder in 60s flower art with, yes, tangerine orange flowers! So cheap that I would've been embarrassed to haggle at all. Second is something that tea cup lovers will identify with: a crocheted and starched tea cup and saucer. One dollar at a local thrift!

IMG_2991.JPG IMG_2992.JPG

IMG_2995.JPG

IMG_2994.JPG

Attached Files:

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Amazing it has survived. (the teacup)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    KingofThings and kentworld like this.
  12. kentworld

The next purchase was unusual for me; a few pieces of ephemera. There was a bunch of little paper bits in a box and I couldn't resist having a look-see. That weren't the good deal that the book holder was, but I figure I could use them on cards or something. Paper is a weakness of mine. I reckon they came from an old scrapbook or album, and the seller's said that they were from a snow bird who winters in Florida which would explain the amount of Spanish written on some. Anyway, a few business cards, and a lot of fun for the money. I bought one photographic one even though not in good shape.

IMG_2984.JPG
    IMG_2985.JPG

IMG_2986.JPG

IMG_2987.JPG

IMG_2988.JPG

IMG_2989.JPG

IMG_2990.JPG

13. kentworld

14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

congrats on your store!

I've never seen a crocheted cup and saucer before, neat item! Love the cards and the book holder:)

15. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

These cutie Christmas ornaments were given to me Friday night by a friend at the auction who is a textile artist. They are made from old wooden spools that she wrapped with yarn & then stitched the decorative design. She attached old buttons to the top & bottoms.

I had given her a shopping bag that contained literally 16 pounds of linen that was damaged with stains & tears. There was some beautiful old pieces of Madeira & wonderful old crocheted pieces in the bag among lots of other things. I just wasn't inclined to spend weeks trying to remove stains & then try to sell them showing all the damage. I know she will put all of it to very good use in her future projects.

[​IMG]

16. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Love the postcards! Very pretty, Beryl. I know what you are saying about cleaning the linens, been there.

I can't find my blackl ight, but I need a portable one, so I am ordering one from Amazon. I find there are many times I want to check for uranium glass in jewelry.

Here are a few more things I picked up. I have been trying out the camera features in my Samsung 7, and I really like the editing I can do before I email photos to myself, but I am still having trouble because when there are two things or more, it wants to focus on one....and I've tried the pro mode. Good thing hubby kept the Samsung 4. .

Here are some thrift shop finds
    Ralph Lauren earrings, the post parts are marked 14k, $1
    Ralph Lauren earrings.jpg

This 10k sapphire lavalier needs a little pearl drop. The stone tests in a weird section, like iolite, on the gem tester, not glass
    sapphire lavalier.jpg

My sister-in-law collects all things Japanese, so I picked up this teapot for her
    Satsuma Teapot.jpg
    From the antique show, mine, not going anywhere. Karen Lynn GF cameo bracelet, I liked the high relief carving on the cameos and the fact they are larger and not side set
    Cameo Bracelet karen lynn.jpg
    Thrift shop Christmas rosary
    Christmas rosary (380x640).jpg
    Vintage Chinese silk tapestry? textiles, the one with the birds seems older and has Chinese symbols on the back.....antique mall find
    Chinese testile blue.jpg
    Chinese textile birds.jpg

17. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

love the Christmas rosary Marko!

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

That book holder is actually early 70s. I had the matching chopping board!

kentworld and KingofThings like this.
  19. Ownedbybear

20. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

This thread has hit 500 pages! :)

Aquitaine, Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted