Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

great finds funkey, I love the cat:)

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Picked these up today though Id long thought I was over my "glitzy" stage! Franklin Mint,in perfect condition,and the blue matches my new rug from Wayfair!
    [​IMG]
    This little lovely was a recent .50 purchase...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tyeldom3, Figtree3, cxgirl and 6 others like this.
  3. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Beautiful! Love this.

tyeldom3, johnnycb09 and KingofThings like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

those are some erotic franklin mint....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

love the zsolnay johnny:)

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Here's the stuff I found Thursday. The gold already went to the scrapper; it was cheap tat whose only claim to be worth anything was gold content. The circle pin isn't marked and hasn't been tested yet, but it's almost not worth bothering. The heart is costume, but it's current production and retails for over $100.

On another note, when I took the scrap in today they threw in what looked like a junk bracelet with the cash. Guess again - probably Dominican silver and most likely sterling. Not a mark on it. The pawn guys thought it was junk. It's not the greatest thing, but I never look free silver in the mouth!
    DSCF4152.JPG

7. aaroncab

Hard to get anything free nowadays - free silver is a huge bonus! Nice!

tyeldom3, cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  8. aaroncab

33108256591_84f82e9fd0_k.jpg Found these jolly fellows today - Capodimonte = buck a piece.

9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Yup, free is always good:)
    those 'jolly fellows' are very cool aaron!

tyeldom3, KingofThings and aaroncab like this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Does the message on the heart say "SHORTY / YOU'RE MY ANGEL" ?

tyeldom3 and KingofThings like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Someone had that stamped into it custom. Do NOT ask me why someone thought that was endearing, but apparently it's a "song" lyric. Reggae guy named Shaggy. It was released over 15 years ago; someone ripped off Angel of the Morning.

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

These are nice. I bought what I thought was a bag of not too special glass beads, thinking they might be useful. They turned out to be an oldish glass necklace, hand blown, with a scarab. 1920s or 30s I suspect.

B84A.jpg b84B.jpg B84C.jpg B84D.jpg

13. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

14. Ownedbybear

Heh. ;)

I think they're meant as hands of Fatima. Given it has the protective eyes and a scarab, all luck emblems.

15. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Great jewelry finds, loving the amber ring!!!!!

I went to a bi-yearly antique sale, and I found some unusual things. I took a chance on one of them, ouch- $60, hope I didn't make a mistake. More about that later, I have to get ready to visit my uncle, grocery shop, and finish the three loads of laundry. But..... my favorite thing I found was this..... it mesmerized me. I asked the lady if she could do better than $20, she said no, she didn't even have a chance to research it (like look it up on ebay), so I grabbed it.

I think this may be strass, not sure.... set in brass, I think....the sparkle on these rhinestones is amazing, and I cannot capture it fully. It is a strand of 59 1/2 inches long. So this may be rhinestones made from lead crystal. Anybody have a guess on the age? Late 1800s/early 1900s?

strass.jpg

sch3gsd, pearlsnblume, wenna and 9 others like this.
  16. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Okay, so here is the $60 thing I bought and I don't know if I made a mistake or not... The guy is pretty clueless about his jewelry, not that this is jewelry. And I am clueless about anything bakelite. These were sold as bakelite, so I bought them. They are Islamic prayer beads. I have been researching them and wondering if they could be faturan or amber. They have reddish spots in some areas, and one bead seems to be carved down. I found something on ebay that looks a little like mine, for reference only, next post. Prayer beads.jpg

Prayer beads 3.jpg

20170305_121857 (1) (522x640).jpg

17. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

FunkeysFinds and KingofThings like this.
  18. komokwa

those are very nice......r the coins anything helpful..?

KingofThings likes this.
  19. Ownedbybear

Marko, do you have a UV light? Those may be butterscotch amber - if they are, you'll see a blue veil effect if you shine the UV on them.

Houseful and KingofThings like this.
  20. komokwa

the coins and metal here look very similar......i don't know if that's good or bad news...?
    your beads do look like butterscotch amber.....much different from pressed resin....

[​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted