Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

This weekend's jewelry finds. The first photo is the meager haul from Saturday. I bought the big earrings because I have the matching necklace. The circle pin is a Joseph Warner. The little pendant is silver and tourmalinated quartz. The round earrings are Native American silver; I haven't researched the maker yet. The second photo is something I paid up for at church today. A missions group was selling jewelry to raise funds for work in the Dominican. That's a ring, amber and silver, and the stone is about 1 3/8x 1 5/8 inches. Biggest ring I've ever gotten my hands on; it's headed into my collection. DSCF4146.JPG DSCF4149.JPG

2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

My family put an inventory number on EVERYTHING that moved, regardless of value. When you have 50 rooms of crap, you have to account for each piece when you inherit.

pearlsnblume and KingofThings like this.
  3. evelyb30

In my family they were more likely to rent a dumpster.(LOL)

4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Hey! There you are! :)
    See the scone story I wrote for you in your birthday thread? ;)

5. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

On my way over to peruse now!

KingofThings likes this.
  6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hey kentworld...nice to see ya around !!!

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Why do I DO THIS!!!!

B69A.jpg

9. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

The question I find myself asking is ... why doesn't everyone do this? :D

10. KingofThings

Because LUNCH should've been on that tray?????
    ;)

Christmasjoy, SBSVC and bobsyouruncle like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

<snicker>

It was a job lot..... oh dear.

Christmasjoy, SBSVC and KingofThings like this.
  12. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Why do I DO THIS!!!!

I know this is rhetorical, but here is the answer anyway. :smuggrin::smuggrin: Because you spied a treasure or maybe 2 in amongst the pile that we will see later in this thread. You will stash away your favorites. You will then turn around & sell what is left to off set what you paid for the stash. ;) :p :D

Did I get close???? ;):smug::smug: :D:D :hilarious::hilarious:

13. Ownedbybear

You know me FAR too well. ;) This was, by the way, the same seller who sold me the Anthropologie ring She also sold me these two pretties, but not quite as cheaply. They're being kept. Oops. B67A.jpg B67B.jpg B68A.jpg B68B.jpg B68C.jpg B68D.jpg

14. evelyb30

Hello. Full stop. I'd be donating the rest of the tat to a church group and giggling over the pretties. OTOH I'd also give the rest of the lot a second going-over, just in case. I've found some really UGLY pieces that turned out to be precious metal. One real prize bit of nastiness was a thin, hollow 20k Buddha made with a plastic stone in the bottom. Yep - plastic. In high karat gold. It melted just fine, plastic bit binned first of course. The marks were in Chinese up on the bail.

15. Ownedbybear

Well, so far I've found a silver bracelet, some rather nice costume bits and a US military medal!

16. evelyb30

I broke down and bought a jar in the Ill Will today, and for once broke even and maybe even made something. I found a few gold bits that will melt nicely, not much, a Victorian sterling brooch, and some pierced earrings I need to research along with some good costume bits. There were also some teardrop-shaped tortoiseshell earrings that seem to be real tortoise; the findings however are costume. Go figure. A lot of what remains will be re-donated to my church's clothes closet. We give the stuff away free, and jewelry flies out the door.

quirkygirl and KingofThings like this.
  17. KingofThings

I keep seeing those.......

18. evelyb30

Most of them are worth ...about what the jar is empty. As often as not the contents are things they had for sale that never moved. Some of it is fine, but was disgustingly overpriced so no one bought it. Some was junk, and once in a while...bingo. Someone got lazy. One piece in my pile is a pair of Danish sterling earrings by a desirable maker. Those will probably be most of my money back.

KingofThings likes this.
  19. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Found this Aseda Glasbruk - Bo Borgstrom bamboo vase today for 3 dollars - woohoo :)

33063158772_e128e78e53_k.jpg

20. FunkeysFinds

FunkeysFinds Well-Known Member

Love all the amazing finds folks have been sharing - jewelry, glass and everything in between! I'm behind on most threads, but hopefully can catch-up this weekend. I saw cxgirl posted some interesting sterling finds/questions and I haven't even checked my favorite section (pottery) in a week, maybe two!

Found a few Taxco (more modern from the 80's - 90's) charms recently - about $15.00 for both. The cat sure is a cutey - the little hind legs swing back and forth.

[​IMG]

Happy first weekend of March pickin'!

Draft saved Draft deleted