Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Probably not; I may use it as a gift for a history buff friend.

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Fresh English mustard. Colmans' mustard powder in a tin, none else will do. Must be made just before you eat it. Put some in an eggcup, add cold water enough to mix it to a smooth paste, leave for ten minutes.

Thassit. No vinegar or owt.

Mustard powder also improves cheese sauce greatly.

3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

aaaaaaHHHHHHHHH....
    CHEW!

4. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Improves all kinds of food!
    Egg salad and meatloaf are two that I always use it in.

5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I have an old macaroni and cheese casserole recipe from my mom's recipe box, and it calls for 1 teaspoon of mustard powder (9x12"casserole.) It is an essential ingredient.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I add it to mashed potato, cheese scones, Welsh rarebit mix, you name it. Makes a nice steak or lamb rub.

KingofThings and Messilane like this.
  7. evelyb30

It's useful stuff. I'm not overly fond of plain mustard as such, but as an additive it's a good thing.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Bought these spoons today,I dont know why!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Johnny,
    They came out in the 60s, i have a set of them around here somewhere. My favorite is a set of 1920 movie stars.
    greg

KingofThings and johnnycb09 like this.
  10. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

It looks like2 or possibly 3 of those may be Alexandrite glass.~ Good find!

KingofThings likes this.
  11. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

You're old Greg
    greg 002.JPG greg 005.JPG

Attached Files:

KingofThings, cxgirl and johnnycb09 like this.
  12. evelyb30

If the perfume bottles are Czech alexandrite ... score! Moser glass used to make some nice pieces.

KingofThings likes this.
  13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi
    Good catch on the spoons. The ones I have are from the 60s and have no design on the bowl of the spoon. I think they were giveaways from a gas station.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  14. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

You guys find the best stuff. I wouldn't know to pick up 90% of your finds.... I am pretty limited in my "what's valuable" knowledge.

I did find a new thrift shop today, don't think it will be good for jewels or clothing, but furniture and home goods, yes. I was mesmerized by this painting. The actual painting, oil?, under glass, is 18 by 24 inches. The frame seems and odd size, 26 by 31 inches. The moulding on the frames seems to be plaster on wood, a lovely rose/floral motiff, some chipping. It has silvery glints. I will post a closeup of the frame's floral work. Does anyone recognize the signature? It was really well custom-framed, double-matted, nice hardware for hanging in the back.

painting roses 1.jpg
    painting roses 2 frame.jpg
    rose painting signature.jpg

FunkeysFinds, cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  15. KingofThings

The lambs like that do they?
    :wideyed:

SBSVC likes this.
  16. KingofThings

17. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Some recent finds ... I've vowed to only buy smaller items lately because I hate boxing larger stuff to ship ... which has caused them to pile up a bit here on any flat surface I can find ... which, in turn is starting to annoy the husband just a little.

The napkin rings were today's find ... faberge ... and to my horror, they were strung on a plastic cord as if they were beads and tossed on a shelf where they put items under five dollars - they are undamaged, but I shudder to think what could have happened to them had they stayed on that shelf for another day or two. Some tiny frames and what I think is a wee hand painted sugar scoop missing its scuttle (I may use it in my sugar canister)
    P1120032(1).JPG
    Some jewelry: stick pin will be shown in its own thread ... amethyst glass (from grab bag) in brass?, onyx and pearl in ?, signed spiny oyster and sterling, sterling and iolite that I hope Tiffany's will polish (if not, the grands have a cute $15 ring to play with)
    P1120037(1).JPG
    some of the nicer stuff out of a huge jewelry grab bag from the thrift ... The pin is what I think is dragon's breath (chipped, but my first piece of it) in a 'nothing special' sterling setting ... broken MMA earrings that I'm hoping someone will want to complete their own broken pair or to try and fix. The stuff on the right is the 14K scrap from the bag.
    P1120039(1).JPG
    finally, a cool brooch with a detachable pin mechanism that allows either side to be worn facing front.
    gold side with back off, then with it on ... then flipped to show the other side
    P1120059(1).JPG P1120061(1).JPG P1120063(1).JPG

18. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

some great finds quirklygirl! Love the brooch with the ladybug and those napkin rings:)

quirkygirl and KingofThings like this.
  19. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

20. evelyb30

That brooch is a "flipping" Boucher! It's not one of the old pieces but it's still nice. That dragon's breath brooch is in a Harvey Era (aka 1940s) setting, so I'd consider it pretty nice. And thank you for rescuing the napkin rings. They were too nice to sit there getting chipped up. BTW - which thrift was this? I never find anything like that here. The only thrift left locally is an Ill Will.

Draft saved Draft deleted