Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

Me too! Your probably right it definitely is older

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think you're right on the age, but dollars to donuts it's French. I have a similar one sitting here someplace, kind of resting in pieces. Some of those glass necklaces are worth money, damaged or not.

mymysharona43 likes this.
  3. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Great finds as usual :) Love the birdie necklace. Nuff, beautiful job on that silk panel. Too many eye candies to comment on.;)

There was an eBay seller who carved the most gorgeous bakelite items. I used to have his ID but lost it :(

4. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I don't think I have ever known anyone who carved bakelite, but a friend has a huge collection (that he sometimes also sells). http://mariorivoli.com/

I don't *think* Mario carves it, but he does make the most fabulous beaded flowers you ever saw.

mymysharona43 and Pat P like this.
  5. spirit-of-shiloh

Pat P likes this.
  6. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Those are quite cool, shiloh!

sigh . . . I was looking at Mario's facebook page and notice that he hasn't posted for almost a year.
    I have been out of the loop, and away from "friends" for so long. I do hope nothing has happened to him.

7. spirit-of-shiloh

A year? Yes I would be a bit concerned too :( I saw those beaded flowers and the prices WOW! Makes me want to start making them LOL. :p

8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Messi, wow, his flowers are really beautiful.

9. spirit-of-shiloh

I found his studio :)

http://www.elvenkrafte.com/

EXCERPT:

My Bakelite jewelry is carved only from vintage Bakelite stock and not newly produced material or "fake-lite". My collectible buttons are carved from jet, antler, Bakelite and other assorted materials.

10. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I will take all the MOP and rhinestones. :) Great haul, Sharonna. And the bakelite clock for a dollar!

I went to a flea market I have been going to forever. The lady had a gold ring mixed in with sterling, I gave it to her (it was missing all the diamonds, it was scrap and it wasn't worth much.) Now every piece I pick up she loupes. Live and learn.

11. spirit-of-shiloh

I started to make scarabs out of different gem stones years ago then got bored and never finished. I wanted them in snowflake obsidian,turq.,tiger eye,jade,and various agates. I get bored too easily :( Here is one scarab I found awhile back,misplaced the others. The turtle on the right was another didn't finish.:p phpBnr4vPPM.jpg Even the sterling is tarnished.from neglect.

12. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Does excavating the shed count as finds?

upload_2014-9-10_20-51-37.png

Just 2 1/2 inches high.

Solid silver animals, modernish.

upload_2014-9-10_20-53-38.png

Some ancient packaging, the wood boot button box is half full.
    upload_2014-9-10_20-54-56.png
    upload_2014-9-10_20-55-28.png

A simple but elegant 7 inch ivory Okimono, now promoted to the house.

upload_2014-9-10_20-57-2.png

upload_2014-9-10_20-57-47.png
    upload_2014-9-10_20-58-24.png

13. spirit-of-shiloh

I would say that shed items tucked away then found again are considered finds :D Love the silver animals and ivory.

14. spirit-of-shiloh

Rubber buttons?????

15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Af, wonderful items. Definitely counts as finds!

I'm going to start posting "finds" from my mother's things. Going through them is just as surprising and enjoyable as poking through antique shops used to be.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My find of the day was a pair of new shoes. UConn's medical center's charity thrift. Apparently never worn, my size, (11s or 10.5s if I can get them) - $12 instead of the $150 New Balance is charging. Plain and uglyish, but I'm not complaining.

17. spirit-of-shiloh

Here is some junk I grabbed from a pile in my eBay room. Yes, I am a junk collector too.:arghh: phpyYnaW4PM.jpg phpy7YDaKPM.jpg If I ever get the ambition I will get to the bottom of these boxes where I have old medical stuff, one item is a real EYE OPENER LOL...Ignore the dust.:eek:

18. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Shiloh, what are Hav-A-Tampa jewels? And what's the thing in the upper left of the first photo?

19. spirit-of-shiloh

DSCN5203.JPG This was a few years ago when I had a lot of my eBay items containers on the side patio to sort through, then a sudden snow hit. I about broke my back dragging them out from the barn :(

20. spirit-of-shiloh

Have a tampa are cigars, my step son saved the boxes for me. The thingon the left? Which pic? Oh DUH! I just re read your question, a vintage buffet server set,cheapie.

Draft saved Draft deleted