Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Loving the cinnabar! I have a cinnabar bracelet I bought in San Francisco in 1988 that I love. It is red and black. :)

Okay, I haven't figured out how to post more than one picture to a post, so I am experimenting. The first set I got from a lady who gets her things from Lambertville, NJ, an exclusive area near New Hope, PA. She astounds me with what she has every time I see her. Somehow this escaped her notice. Crown Trifari pat pend earrings, patent issued to Alfred De Phillippe 1949.

Fan earrings back.JPG

Fan earrings front.JPG

I love this hair pin. I cannot figure out what kind of rhinestones are set in it. I see them referred to as paste (but these are foil-backed), diamante, strass, and brilliants. They are very distinctive. Anyway, found at the outdoor antique show for $5:

Hair pin full.JPG

This pin purchased from the same dealer for $4 has a distinctive back I have not seen before and the stones are the same type:

hat pin front.JPG

hat pin back.JPG

This was my favorite piece found at an ex-dealer's yard sale for $5, WWII Army Air Corp. brass sweetheart locket in original box:
    DSCF3445 (480x325).jpg

I have more, but I photograph outside and it is raining. More next week!

2. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Nuff said, I always look forward to your posts. Your finds amaze me! I learn a lot from them. We all live in different areas so things that we find will be different. I see things that I would never even think to look at here that astound me. If I took you guys on a trip down here to one of our outdoor or indoor shows, we could do a TV segment. You would all find something valuable and we would compare notes at the end. No competition, just sharing knowledge and treasures. That's how I see things here.

3. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Nuff said, did the jeweler ID the type of cut? Was it princess, Asscher, or cushion cut? They are all similar..... I keep looking for a antique cushion cut, found one but it was chipped. Great Find!!!

4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

This 66 gram bronze bit would make any woman look stunning
    0901 zinc 001.jpg

FunkeysFinds and mymysharona43 like this.
  5. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

All I need is a chain for that pendant.

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Terry -
    At the top of the "loop" there is a square hole. When looking down in, does the hole go down into the piece itself?

7. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Nice finds everyone!

Sharona, love the cinnabar and seal.

@Marko, thank you so much for the kind words. Love the watch by the way. The diamond's cut was an old mind cut, round solitaire, not a princess. I made a mistake when typing that. It was a very good find for a buck. We've already re-sold it. :D

8. terry5732

No, the edge is just less finished under the loop.
    0901 zinc.jpg

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The reason I asked is that it looks like it was soldered to something at one time.
    Looks like half of a lock of some sort.

10. terry5732

Those are sterling rivets that hold the 7 layers together
    0901 zinc 003.jpg

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I don't have any photos of today's "find" because it was a pile of scrap gold bits. Straight to the scrapper it went. My $1.25 investment was worth $40 from the pawn guy. Earring backs, a few singles, etc. It's always worth checking the baggies of little stuff like that.

Pat P likes this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

This isn't really a find. It belonged to my grandmother. But since I've just photographed it, I may as well show it to someone. Just a tiny thing, about an inch across.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 'Nuff_Said

This isn't a "new" find, but one purchased a couple of weeks ago that was basically left for dead by its former owner as you can see from the before image below. We took it to a number of places for a possible restoration, but no one would touch it. We were about to give-up and decided to try one last place. Well, this last place for a whole $16 was able to breath a new life into this thing. They did one hell-of-a-job...

Before:
    NEW FINDS 001-002.JPG

After:
    SILK PANEL 001-001.JPG

14. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

MOS, lovely pin!

'Nuff, wow, they did a great job. It looks beautiful!

15. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

Been working hard, thanks nuff on the finds
    $16.00? wow looks very delicate, I could see myself poking holes in it, burning or ripping it. They did a amazing job for a great price!

16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

that looks beautiful Nuff!

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Chinese silk? Oh my. That would look neat framed.

18. 'Nuff_Said

Thank you all!

Yes, Chinese silk panel.

They did a great job for very little money. We were prepared to pay them much more. Looks nothing like it did when first purchased and posted here a couple of weeks ago. All the creasing and wrinkles are gone, the boarder and backing support reattached. Awesome job!

19. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Pat, what a beautiful brooch. The stones in yours look like the same type that are set in the flower brooch I posted. I see these mostly set in brass? metals.

I LOVE the silk panel, NuffSaid!

20. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Oops, I got my posters mixed up, sorry, moreotherstuff!

Draft saved Draft deleted