Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Nuff: Low table is a opium table. Trays go in "inserts" for the various opium supplies and tools. I can see why you bought the rug, the border looks very much like a chinese rank badge.

Tara

tyeldom3 likes this.
  2. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

That button with the horse and rider is AWESOME. :)

tyeldom3 and mymysharona43 like this.
  3. spirit-of-shiloh

Well all I can say is WOW on all the great finds.....:cat:

mymysharona43 likes this.
  4. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Thanks, Trip!

We were able to find somewhat similar examples of the low table, but nothing that matched exactly. We were also thinking is could possible be a footrest(?).

Yes, the rug does look very much like a rank badge and is one of the reasons we found it so attractive.

This will probably be my last post within these Finds Threads as they have brought me too much unnecessary and unwanted negative attention over these past couple of years. I will not be leaving the board, but will no longer post newly found items within this thread.

The 10 piece lot below (believe it or not) was purchased for $82...

First half of the 20th C. German coat-of-arms panting signed twice and inscribed verso.

Chinese or Japanese, brass or bronze figure of a foo-dog or shishi, censer or inkwell (not researched as of yet).

Small 19th C.(?) Ottoman(?) unmarked silver cup, bowl or dish with two handles.

First half of the 20th C. Native-American(?) lidded woven basket.

Large chunk of branched red coral.

(3) 19th C.(?) German(?) brass figural spoons.

16th/17th C.(?) Chinese brass or bronze mounted cowrie shell spoon and black-coral handle with engraved shou-character mother-of-pearl finial (I have NEVER seen anything like this before. the ONLY other examples of cowrie bowl spoons I found so far appear to be held in museum collections. the V&A museum houses 3 European examples dating to the 16th & 17th C.).

19th C. Chinese or Japanese bronze inkwell-type item or opium-type item in the form of a dragon (not researched as of yet).

NEW TEN PIECE LOT 001-001.JPG

NEW TEN PIECE LOT 002-001.JPG

NEW TEN PIECE LOT 003-001.JPG

tyeldom3 and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  5. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

Thanks so much Shiloh and jpg
    Well I for one hope you change your mind, but I do understand your reasoning. I think there are many who truly enjoy your fascinating finds! This is of course my favorite thread, and has been for years, like them all. Love showing and discussing antiques with like minded folks.....:(

tyeldom3 and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  6. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Nuff: here is one very close in design.http://www.liveauctioneers.com/sear...asimage=true&type=complete&rows=20&pagenum=16
    Usually you see inlay on the flat trays that are placed on the opium beds. I am not sure how the tables are used though, I think maybe the tables were for the European market. Just a guess though. (I purchase a large collection of opium items about 20 years ago... a difficult sell- much like ivory now.)

I have had a shell spoon before similar to yours, but without the ornate handle, I think it was marked Germany. I may still have it somewhere.

I for one appreciate your finds, as I am not so bold to share as much as you do, but I am always ready to learn something new.

7. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

@ 'Nuff_Said, the time period is right for the woven basket, but it is not Native American. No Native American tribe uses this type of stitch joining the coils, so that you can see a space between them.

It's commonly used in Mexico (especially on the popular Toluca Valley figural baskets); on Polynesian baskets from Tonga, Niue, and Samoa; and in a few other Asian countries.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It's commonly used in Mexico (especially on the popular Toluca Valley figural baskets); on Polynesian baskets from Tonga, Niue, and Samoa

Clear proof that the South Pacific was colonised by Mexicans.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  9. afantiques

And they used this recent find to get there.

A biscuit tin in the shape of an ocean liner, the Berengaria that turned up in the shed while searching for the wool albums.
    ship.jpg

and what a good one looks like.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21748/lot/295/

[​IMG]

10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Should still be able to get a bob or two out of yours, AF. :)

tyeldom3 likes this.
  11. spirit-of-shiloh

OH PLEASE don't stop posting your finds :arghh: You do not realize how helpful your posts are to me as well as others. Your items help me to know what to look for.:kiss:

12. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

You gotta keep posting cause most of the rest of us got nuttin

I found a couple antique pewter pieces today that are OK, but lacking any maker's marks they're just shed fillers
    0828 railroad 030.jpg 0828 railroad 039.jpg

tyeldom3 likes this.
  13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Can you elaborate? To think that anyone would have a problem with you posting here is sad. I always have an altruistic view of what interactions can bring on the internet and am continually disappointed in the reality...... :(

spirit-of-shiloh and tyeldom3 like this.
  14. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

@ Sharona, thank you! There's no changing my mind. It's the same ol' dance, to the same ol' tired song, almost every few months with different folks. Enough is enough! This thread (Finds) was, and will always be my most fav.

@ Trip, thank you so much and thanks for sharing the info. Also, I would love to see an image of your spoon if possible.

@ Taupou, as always, thank you so much for taking the time out to share your thoughts and knowledge.

@ AF, love that old toy ship. Very nice!

@ Shi, thank you! But I think enough is enough. Their will be many folks who will come along in the near future and post some amazing items for all of us to learn from. My time here at least in these Finds Threads has expired.

@ Terry, thank you! But the same as the above applies. There will be many others to come along. Also, that's a pretty nice bowl. I love the atomic-like engraved symbol at middle.

@ Brad, with all due respect... I do not care to elaborate any further in this thread nor any other. Those folks do not deserve another second or my time or thoughts. From off-board negative discussions, to blatant, bold-face lies. Enough is enough!

mymysharona43 likes this.
  15. spirit-of-shiloh

16. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Nuff: The spoon is somewhere in my shed (garage). The garage is full of furniture right now, but I will be able to get to it eventually. It is really a very simple spoon with a shell bowl and molded handle that (memory failing) looks like a fairly straight notched branch or bamboo stalk. The bowl connection to stem was loose so it when in my "too nice to toss too damaged too sell" pile.

How about a compromise? Take a break on posting finds, but come back later. Many don't realize you are just a hard working dealer, in a or near a high density area with the great many venues to find the stuff. Added bonus is your ebay picking skills. I live in a high density, very upscale area and when I put in time/effort the results are great, but I get distracted easily with other things I like to do.:bored:

17. afantiques

Austrain Grand Sonnerie mid 19th C mantel clock, local auction, not very expensive as the clock market is pretty dead at the moment.

For me. a keeper.

1-P1030375.JPG

Pendulum is a replacement.

18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Beautiful clock. Very elegant.

19. afantiques

Silver Grammar School medal, edge inscription indicates it was presented to a relative of R B Sheridan, the Irish poet. About 3 inches long.

upload_2014-8-29_22-39-21.png

upload_2014-8-29_22-40-43.png

20. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

finds826.jpg AF super clock and I like your replacement pendulum. Last week finds. Mostly Calif studio pottery. Blue one is Royal Haeger with Etruscan glaze created by Helmut Brachmann 1960s.

FunkeysFinds and Pat P like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted