Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

so....more than Double Dutch !!!;)

lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No surprises there. They didn't make it up into CT, so instead of Dutch names no one can understand, we have Native ones no one can spell!

I'd have jumped on both of those too. The earrings may well be Czech. Czechs are the prime suspects when you see garnets, and the Austro-hungarians right behind them. I've never seen an earring jacket like that before either. The cameo is a classic Three Graces and I'm betting it's been around a while.

I'll have to get a good quick and dirty of some stuff I picked up for peanuts today at the last day of a synagogue sale. They pretty well threw it at me for $4 for the pile. I wasn't arguing, especially when I got out to my car and found a ring waiting for me on the pavement right in front of my trunk. I think it was there for a while, and ... odds are it's gold.

lloyd249, komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Some of the names in Washington state are a riot to listen to some people attempt them. :)

lloyd249 likes this.
  4. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Between the NA names, and the French names, it gets pretty funny in Wisconsin too. :hilarious::hilarious:

5. KingofThings

Most notable seems to be Puyallup.

all_fakes and lloyd249 like this.
  6. evelyb30

Total outlay for the stuff in both shots, four bucks. The candlesticks are olive wood Sabbath candle holders, mostly ornamental. The menorah is cast brass and in need of a little TLC, but it's meant to hang on a wall and it's an oil one - both hard to find. The pin beads are Japanese glass. DSCF2379.JPG DSCF2384.JPG
    The colored beads are RDR - random dyed rocks. The stick pin is probably sterling and gold. The earrings have sterling backs. The pin is sterling and agate, hand made. The bracelet is probably sterling and hobbyist made. The ring dead center isn't hallmarked, but odds are it's 14k. It's a parking lot rescue.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Without meaning to be a stick in the mud....any chance someone lost their ring....as opposed to it being from the sale ?

KingofThings and lloyd249 like this.
  8. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

re: Cape May

I spent exactly one (very odd) weekend in Cape May, years & years ago (c.1980)

My husband's widowed father had invited my divorced mother to spend a week at a place he had rented in Cape May. He was a very... uh... shall we say, old-fashioned type.

He had got it in his head that he should marry my mother, to rescue her from the shame of divorce - and to have someone to clean his house, make his meals, do his laundry, etc, etc.

Mom really wanted a beach get-away, but she told my 3 sisters & me, "NO WAY am I going to be alone in that house with that man! One of you will have to be there with me at all times." (Believe me, I'm making no excuses here for my mother's behavior here, either!)

DH & I were "assigned" the final weekend of her visit.

All I remember of the place is:

1) a horrendously long Friday evening drive from DC...
    2) exceeding long lines to get into restaurants...
    and
    3) Cape May DIAMONDS - I still have one in my jewelry box!

I'm sure that Cape May is a lovely place, but my memories of it are not!

9. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Cape May is lovely, but you are right, quite crowded in the summertime, especially weekends. There are many great things to do besides shopping and dining.... I especially love the fall. We attended a Monarch butterfly tagging, when I was younger I would climb the lighthouse just to see the view and feel the wind in my hair. I play miniature golf with hubby, we watch the sunset on Sunset Beach and collect the Cape May diamonds there. My birthday is June 30, and the horseshoe crabs are all over the beach then.... I love to eat at the Lobster House, always go there for my birthday. I just like walking up and down the streets and looking at the older homes... There are many festivals (The Lima Bean Festival on Columbus Day Saturday is my favorite) and little shows... it is a serendipitous town.

10. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

KingofThings and lloyd249 like this.
  11. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

I've been hoping to run across a glass with a "lemon squeezer" base ... Finally, we (the glass and I) were in the right place (GW) at the right time ...

about 4½" (11.5cm) high
    P1090763.JPG

plus, it had three friends that wanted to join us ;)
    P1090761.JPG
    yes, they really are different heights - there is about ¼" (6 mm) difference between the shortest and tallest one. Oddly, very little wear on the bottom ... just some chips on two bases and teeny tiny bites on the others.

12. evelyb30

No way to be sure how it landed there, or how long it had been laying in that spot. I don't think it was part of the original sale inventory. In any case, the voice in the back of my head said "that's yours" ... so I guess it's mine now. :headphone: I only get into trouble when I don't listen to that particular voice.

KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  13. KingofThings

It's termed your 'little voice' and we ignore it at our peril.

14. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

i call it my wife lol

KingofThings likes this.
  15. KingofThings

HA!
    Same difference. ;)
    ~
    Maybe it was a mistake...but I don't work for Boeing because of my little voice.
    In 1995 I pulled into the driveway and stopped right there looking at the building. My little voice literally screamed; GET OUT OF HERE! and I did.

lloyd249 and gregsglass like this.
  16. evelyb30

That sounds like no mistake whatsoever.

17. KingofThings

No...
    What irks me about it is many guys in my car club are retired Boeing and they have beautiful cars, hot rod and classics, homes, etc.
    When you get a chance look up the sculpture in front of the Machinists union in Everett, WA.

18. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Been clearing a large old house out all week, might be finished by Friday.
    Hoarder is an under statement.
    Found quite a bit of cash, 3 bottles of Scotch, 6 bottles of Champagne and stacks of antiques and collectables and the good thing is we are getting paid to empty it :D
    Here is just a few of the smalls I brought home to research.

Bakelite jewellry box with gold contents.

jb.PNG

jb2.PNG

003.JPG

A Nurses Sterling Silver buckle, 1901 Chester.

001.JPG

002.JPG

Medical cabinet and contents.

20160809_210347.jpg

20160809_210450.jpg

20160809_210617.jpg

19. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

That's some really neat stuff, Davey!

20. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Sterling silver propelling pencil.

004.JPG

A miniature ladies razor.

20160809_210950.jpg

pearlsnblume, wenna, lloyd249 and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted