Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

If you bring it to Hemswell tomorrow I`ll give you a Fiver for it, it will be ideal for displaying our knick knacks in :rolleyes:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Nice display case......for just about any smalls !

Poisonivy likes this.
  3. daveydempsey

Got this late Victorian oak draw leaf table with Barley twist legs the other day.
    Its a shame because they flew off the shelf for good money 20 years ago, tough to sell now.

Oak1.jpg

Oak3.jpg

Aquitaine, tyeldom3, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  4. komokwa

It;s beautiful !!
    If I lived near you I'd take it off your hands in a heartbeat !

5. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

I bet you would :)

daveydempsey likes this.
  6. Poisonivy

So any ideas on what it might have been for? The dealer thought cigars but I'm not so sure.

7. daveydempsey

Could be cigars or tobacco related items, lighters etc.
    Model car display ?

cigaar_display.jpg

Figtree3 and cxgirl like this.
  8. Poisonivy

Maybe, Perfect for antique thimbles now though.

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My guess was sewing supplies of some kind. Maybe even dye packets. My find of the day was enough scrap gold to pay for the other stuff I bought, none of which is worth showing. The other find is a Rubbermaid drain board for the kitchen, brand new, in a style Mom likes that isn't made any more. I spent a good hour going through a box of jewelry for someone holding an estate sale. They weren't selling the jewelry, but I gave them an idea of what they had.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    tyeldom3 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  10. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

That was nice of you, evelyb. Was there anything in there that had you wishing they were selling?

The furniture is great, the vase is divine! I found some bling that isn't really bling, have to upload the pics.

11. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Here is the bling that is not really bling, but most of it is pretty blingy.

I had to take my car to the car wash, and there is a thrift shop right there, so I perused the jewelry (one thing I have to photograph, no biggie.) I was about to leave and I figured I would check out the belts. I have yet to find a belt with a sterling belt buckle, so I tried my luck. They had just put a bunch of vintage belts out, all of these were a $1 each:

A cloth belt Striped belt.jpg

Two leather Brighton belts, never worn
    Brighton belts.jpg
    Faux turquoise stone in this leather belt
    turquoise belt.jpg
    Dior white leather
    Dior belt.jpg
    San Francisco belt company
    SF belt co..jpg
    Gutos rhinestone belt, front and back, West Germany
    Gutos belt front.jpg
    Gutos belt back.jpg

AND.... saved the best for last....finally found a sterling belt buckle, Kieselstein Cord, leather belt
    Kieselstien Cord Belt Buckle.jpg

12. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

You found some great belts Marko!
    lol Terry

KingofThings likes this.
  14. komokwa

Nice sterling buckle.....doubles as a weapon !!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  15. Poisonivy

No other ideas on what might have been displayed in this?

Just given it some TLC....Looks 100% better now it been polished.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    KingofThings likes this.
  16. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Terry, you need an aloe rub-down!

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

...and some oil from wherever that Tongan flag carrier gets his supply!(LOL)

Just the scrap gold. The rest was pretty common. There was a pretty Chinese cinnabar necklace with a carved dragon clasp that was nice, but contemporary. I couldn't tell what the dragon was made from, probably an ivory simulant.

Congrats on that belt buckle, btw. I just found the same one with prices starting at $250. WOOT!

KingofThings, tyeldom3 and komokwa like this.
  18. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

hi all , i'm back home , bought this cool red baron tin toy plane from an antique shop in Granby . 68 $ plus 15% tax DSC08377.JPG DSC08378.JPG

KingofThings, cxgirl and Marko like this.
  19. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Thanks, evelyb. I have one cinnabar piece, a bracelet, I bought in San Francisco in 1988 in Chinatown. I don't find much here.

I tried doing a community yard sale yesterday, almost died from the heat and humidity. There was a nice curio cabinet for TEN DOLLARS that nobody wanted. My problem is getting it from point A to point B, then storage. Oh well.

I went out today to an outdoor antique show near the ocean, not too bad. I found this cameo, trying to figure out an age and material. I am guessing Victorian, and gold plated? It is not gold, tested it on a scratch stone, but somebody else messed with the back. I can't tell if it has crazing or natural growth lines, but for $18, I was not leaving without it. The thing is rather HUGE, too, which you can't see in the pictures.

Cameo 3 graces front.jpg

Cameo 3 graces back.jpg
    The spot on the lower right was cleaned with a sunshine cloth... I tried to clean the left side (which looked like that anyway) with a light silver polishing. The sunshine cloth takes the other stuff off, but it needs a lot of work and I am not doing it, don't want to damage the cameo.

Next up, I always am a sucker for garnet and pearl jewelry since all my siblings and me were born in June (pearls) and my dad was born in January (garnets.) The earring stems are marked 830S, and there is a much smaller mark on them I cannot read, maybe a maker's mark.
    Garnet pearl earrings 830S front.jpg
    Usual back posts....never saw these kinds before.
    Garnet pearl earrings 830S backs.jpg

20. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

LOVE the Red Baron plane!!!!

KingofThings and lloyd249 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted