Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Beautiful impressionistic still life. The color saturation in the red roses is wonderful. Giclee definite possibility. Couldn't find the artist. Ran a lyrics search for those words, but no song claimed them. For me, the work is beautiful and playful at the same time. Congratulations!

KingofThings and Marko like this.
  2. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Thanks, I will google gicle!

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I did find a song written in 1914 called "I'd like to be on an island with you," but I cannot find the lyrics.... sheet music cover picture was found. The words "little love" and "little kiss" are featured in a Nelson Eddy-Jeannette MacDonald song from 1912. I am going to try to read more of the words and decipher the handwriting from the other parts of it. Thanks, I love it. I got it for $10, the frame says it was custom framed at Michaels, and that probably cost more than $10.

4. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Island (499x640).jpg Evelyb, the roses (can't see it in my bad photo) seem to have been painted? seems like they are raised? due to the paint. Here is the sheet music cover:
    Island (499x640).jpg

5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Keep us posted, Marko! Isn't it wonderful to fall in love with a piece like that? And then it's so much fun researching it.

6. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Well, I am seeing double now. These beautiful lyrics are from Fiona Fung:

Greatness as you
    Smallest as me
    You show me what is deep as sea

A little love, little kiss
    A little hug, little gift
    All of little something. these are our memories

You make me cry,
    Make me smile,
    Make me feel that love is true...
    You always stand by my side,
    I don't want to say goodbye.

You make me cry,
    Make me smile,
    Make me feel the joy of love.
    Oh! Kissing you...
    Thank you for all the love you always give to me,
    Oh! I love you...

(* Repeat from the beginning * 01 time)

Yes I do, I always do...

This
    Make me cry,
    Make me smile
    Make me feel that love is true
    You always stand by my side
    I don't want to say goodbye.

You make me cry,
    Make me smile,
    Make me feel the joy of love
    Oh! Kissing you...
    Thank you for all the love you always give to me,
    Oh! I love you...

To be with you... Oh! I love you...

Read more: Fiona Fung - A Little Love Lyrics | MetroLyrics

And this from 1912.....
    JUST A LITTLE LOVE, A LITTLE KISS (Leo Silesu (m) / Adrian Ross (Eng. l) 1912) Jeannette MacDonald (very early 1940s) Also sung by: John McCormack Jan Peerce And others... When the phantom night of summer covers Field and city with a veil of blue All the lanes are full of straying lovers Murmuring the words I say to you. Just a little love, a little kiss Just another tour of a world of bliss Eyes that tremble like the stars above me And the little word that says, you love me. Just a little love, a little kiss I would give you all my life for this As I hold you fast, and bend above you And I hear you whispering, I love you. (bridge) As I hold you fast, and bend above you And I hear you whispering, I love you.

NOTES: Above lyrics from a Nelson Eddy radio performance hosted by Jeanette MacDonald Jeanette MacDonald was an influential soprano best known for her musical films with Maurice Chevalier and Nelson Eddy of the 1930s and 1940s. Also from the film ‘Smilin’ Through’ 1941 Director: Frank Borzage Leads: Jeanette MacDonald / Brian Aherne / Gene Raymond Note: this story was an extremely popular one with the public. The original play opened December 30 1919. The 1922 version was a silent film February 13 1922. The 1932 version starred Norma Shearer September 24 1932.

I love a good mystery object!!!! I learn so much researching it.

7. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Do they paint over gilcee? The roses are definitely raised from being painted over, seems a few times....hard to see in my bad photo, couldn't get the glare off it.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Marko... artists do all kinds of stuff these days. I have used watercolor, oil and modeling clay all on one canvas. Gouache (watercolor plus base) can be very texture-heavy... maybe she painted the print with that or something else. The numbers insist that it is a print to start with, I believe. After that... artists are crazy! Who knows! :hilarious:

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

And if you think she's bad, collage artists...let's not go there.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I did find the lyrics to the 1914 "Island" song - they don't seem to be on the artwork....see comments on the other thread.

KingofThings likes this.
  12. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

Moemoo let me dumpster dive at the thrift store today and found this limited edition 100 years of mustang orioles baseball DSC08284.JPG
    DSC08272.JPG DSC08274.JPG DSC08276.JPG DSC08280.JPG

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

In a dumpster ???

Good eye !!!!:)

KingofThings and lloyd249 like this.
  14. evelyb30

It's definitely worth more than you paid for it!

15. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

moemoo takes no responsibility for it he says the girls in charge chuck the stuff ,he doesn't

KingofThings likes this.
  16. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Nice find! Here is another non-bling find, I stopped at an unadvertised yard sale yesterday on my way to somewhere else.... I love this, and will use it for jewelry repairs. magnifiyer.jpg

17. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I love unadvertised sales, great find Marko!
    My best find was this very cool Art Deco lamp - the mark on the base is SP, label on the metal is for Silverware Products (Canada) Ltd. Not much information on the company but I found a few other lamps with the same label. Also found the bookends, a couple of watercolours, a Cathrineholm bowl in the Viking pattern, a Danish Parker Duofold with the original box, articulated hand with wood burn design and a pair of wooden eggcups from Japan (I'm a sucker for stuff like this).
    DSC08285.jpg DSC08235.jpg DSC08270.jpg DSC08222.jpg DSC08225.jpg DSC08296.jpg DSC08267.jpg

kentworld, wenna, Figtree3 and 9 others like this.
  18. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Love the lamp, but the hands are my favorite!

KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  19. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

CXgirl,

Nice find on the pen.

yourturntoloveit and cxgirl like this.
  20. evelyb30

Parker pens are pretty sweet. Found these three on Saturday in an Ill Will, after a nasty hot and humid day of tag sales with lots of tag and little sale. It's out of focus for some reason, but I have reason to suspect that center watch is a real Cartier. The crystal is a replacement and the crown is missing....but it was $6. DSCF2149.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted