Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

we get moose and bears no wild dogs in the city just the country side .we also have wild skunks and jack rabbits at night

KingofThings likes this.
  2. lloyd249

she died 2 days later

KingofThings likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

awww. At least she had an adventure first and didn't die of boredom.

KingofThings and lloyd249 like this.
  4. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Cute story, Lloyd! I will have to post my yard turtle pictures this week.....

Okay, there was an estate sale advertised on-line by a newish estate sale company, and they had pictures up of everything BUT the costume jewelry they had, so I figured "Mardi Gras beads and plastic pearls." I slept late (I have been trying to make arrangements for my uncle's long-term care, that is a book unto itself), so on the way over to the hospital to see him, my husband took me to the estate sale. It was 12:15 p.m., the sale started at 9 (but they opened the doors at 8). There was some jewelry, the person at the jewelry sale table said the FIRST customer bought most of the jewelry for $200.... so I sighed, and started to look anyway. This is what I got for $32:

The earrings in the top center are sterling, this is the back of a gold-filled locket, the square CZ? earrings on the left under the messed up dress clip really sparkle, unmarked, the rest is not sterling, just base metals, the center tree is aurora borealis with multi-colored rhinestones, the red tree is that new Eisenberg Ice.

Dunnwright 7-2-16 Lot 1.jpg
    Next, the pearl earrings are real freshwater pearls, I see no mark on the metal. This is the front of the gold-filled locket, the Honora pearls do have a sterling catch and a nice luster, must be older ones. Honora Lot 2.jpg

I am not sure if this is sterling or not, small spoon made into a pendant, front and back.... I am not good with silverware/flatware, I am amazed at the detailed patterning, especially on the back- does anyone recognize this pattern?
    Spoon 1 (266x640).jpg

Spoon 2.jpg

And I saved the best for last. These are 14k Honora Ming pearl earrings, unavailable now from QVC, I see a pair up for $249.99 on ebay:

Honora Ming Pearl Earrings..jpg

Honora Ming Pearls 2.jpg

I am DYING to know what the guy got for $200!!!!

5. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Lloyd, this is my true turtle story from this year.

Every year, I have at least one box turtle in the yard.... usually it is a female. You can tell the females from the males by eye color- females have brown/black eyes, and males have red eyes.

So I find this guy in the yard about a month ago. My yard is Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom because there is kitty kibble bits in the yard:

Daddy Turtle 1.jpg

Then during a thunderstorm, I think I see him again near our picnic table, but no, it is another male box turtle, one with the most interesting tribal mask face:

Daddy Turtle 2.jpg

So genius that I am, I figure there HAS to be a female lurking in the yard somewhere, and lo and behold, she did show up a few days later:

Mommy Turtle 2016.jpg

I have seen the first bright orange male twice and her twice. Mr. Tribal Mask only once. I don't have a 7-11 nearby, but I will let you know if any of these guys heads for the local Wawa.

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

lloyd249, KingofThings, SBSVC and 2 others like this.
  7. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Thank you, Bakersgma!

KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You're welcome, Marko!

lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Ha...I was thinking the same thing.....& why they left what they did for you to find !!!?????

Nice haul !!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  10. lloyd249

hehehe i guess so the only true parts are i left her out of her pool , she was gone for a couple days when blair and buck found her being attacked by 3 cats cats ( all had legs) on the corner , the rest is made up .and buck looking for her in the yards, he was an amazing springier spaniel .

KingofThings likes this.
  11. lloyd249

sorry about all the killing but a turtles gotta eat lol

KingofThings likes this.
  12. lloyd249

part 2 is vycki goes to the hollywood farm and the third is vycki goes to the park

KingofThings likes this.
  13. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Vycki does get around! My husband was putzing around the other day and I told him the yard turtles move faster than him. He said "that's because I'm older than they are." That was pretty funny.

Thanks, Komokwa. I just louped the pearl earrings with the Honora necklace and they are also Honora sterling. It seems the elderly lady was quite the QVC shopper. I think the strand is a better quality of Honora, too.... I like the luster.

14. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Got a piece of Roseville Mock Orange. Seems the local market has finally caught up to eBay prices this year and stuff has been selling for very reasonable prices. I like it and will continue to load up on art pottery.
    DSC06562.jpg

15. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Joe... a question, please. I think that the gentle crazing (is that the right word?) look in the yellow is beautiful... it speaks to the age and delicacy of the piece. To what extent does that add or detract to the collectability, please?

KingofThings and lloyd249 like this.
  16. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

From what I've heard most art pottery collectors consider light crazing in a slightly negative light, in that they would rather have a perfect piece with great mold details and no distractions. However since even Roseville's late line pieces are nearing 70 years old a lot of them have condition issues with light crazing being one of the most minor and with the least impact on value. Some collectors like light crazing since it shows the piece's age. Now heavy crazing does significantly impact value in a negative way. Below is a Watt pottery piece I picked up in a box lot at an estate auction. Normally it might be worth $10+ (retail) but with the crazing it has makes it worth a few dollars at most. DSC06412.jpg

17. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Well while I'm sharing pics I'll post this Hull Pottery vase I recently acquired. It has a bit of staining which isn't optimal but I got it at a nice price so I'm not complaining. Got it with another piece with some severe damage that I'll try to get a few bucks for at the next community yard sale.

DSC06567.jpg

18. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thank you, Joe. Very helpful. In the end, it seems it's about aesthetics. A bit of age is appreciated, but if it interferes with the overall look, it's a detriment. Makes sense. I personally like a subtle bit of crazing. :)

19. lloyd249

thank you Marko

KingofThings likes this.
  20. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I love the pink one with the rose!

Draft saved Draft deleted