Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Some really great finds!
    Morgen94 that is a wonderful piece of paper!
    lol @FunkeysFinds - you gotta love it when you get that feeling, sounds like you got some great items!
    love that vase and all the figures in the background nuff!
    I picked up these dog head can handles - one is carved wood and covered in leather with glass eyes, the other is resin and this Kodak #1 Junior with case and tripod.
    DSC07248.jpg DSC07237.jpg

2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

And then you have people like me, who hate to undervalue anything, think inherent beauty should translate into more value regardless of who made it, and don't list enough 'cause they take so much time researching things. :rolleyes:

Sometimes just putting it out there at any price is probably a better idea.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Sometimes just putting it out there at any price is probably a better idea.

My plan all the time, except now I buy less and only stuff to keep. Shed mining provides stuff to put out there, although like gold mining, I fear that the big nuggets have all gone and I'll need something like a rock crusher and chemical extraction to get any value out of what is left.

spirit-of-shiloh and Pat P like this.
  4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Af, you need a magic transformer to turn your shed items into hot stuff. :)

I guess I have the opposite problem. When sales were strong, I mostly had lowish priced, middle of the road items to sell. Now that the market is weak, I have all my mother's things that previously were in storage.

Lots of fine things, in different categories, and I hate that prices have gone down so much. I'm one of the people who needs the memory wipe-out you've mentioned re the going prices of things.

5. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

I picked up some Kralik Vases (Small at 4" tall each) on Ebay. I don't have them in my hands yet, so these pictures are from the completed auction

Kralik Mother Of Pearl - Martele

Kralik_MOP_Martele.jpg

Kralik Mother Of Pearl - Quilted

Kralik_MOP_Quilted.jpg

And it's Twin - Kralik Mother Of Pearl - Quilted

Kralik_MOP_Quilted2.jpg

6. desperate_fun

cxgirl,

I really like that Kodak.

7. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

That reminds me of this piece in a camera lot last week
    0813 zeiss 001.jpg

mymysharona43 and afantiques like this.
  8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Desperate, love the first vase!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  9. afantiques

Terry, the Contax is one of the few non SLR cameras of the period with a stong following. The good thing is that sometimes people don't know this.

10. afantiques

Lots of fine things, in different categories, and I hate that prices have gone down so much

Looking on the bright side, you didn't pay for them.
    I find in a tight market that the best stuff still sells well. It's the bread and butter that people can do without, the really exciting pieces still sell to people who don't really notice recessions and weak markets.
    There is a lot of stuff in the salerooms that normally, if I'd been buying to sell, I'd have had a go at because they were a bit interesting and fairly cheap, but although I don't have anything like the budget now, I'll chase something I think is really good and think about how to pay for it later.

Shifting market trends may be more of a factor than tight money, things do go off the boil, and there is nothing much to be done but live with them till the tide turns or get what you can while you can and don't dream of what might have been.

Pat P likes this.
  11. desperate_fun

Pat,

I have one other very similar but a little larger and more flared out at the top.

Pat P likes this.
  12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Desparate, are they considered a form of carnival glass?

Af, good points. Tastes have changed so dramatically the past ten years or so, too.

13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks desperate! Those Kralik pieces are gorgeous!
    That is a nice camera Terry - I sold one a few years ago and it did well, hope yours does too.
    Your boat anchors reminded me of this piece I have - it wasn't selling at the auction so the auctioneer put in a box lot that I wanted. I have no idea what to do with it.
    RCAF air conditioner
    DSC07285.jpg DSC07287.jpg

14. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Does that cool or is it just a filter?

15. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Terry, here is a photo of the back. I guess that is a motor, no idea if this would work.
    DSC07288.jpg

16. desperate_fun

Pat,

As far as I know they would not be classified as Carnival glass

17. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

Some of that is just not having the nak of searching that some do, retaining knowledge. If my 30 year old daughter took up antiques she could be genius at it. But she has no interest in most of it. I missed that gene lol
    I can look till I am blue in the face, sometimes. I know there is more I could do but I just don't have the time or skills. I see many here that have that gene. Baker af and on and on.
    Not to mention babysitting working leaves little time to even try and look. I love to learn and plan to be real smart after my grand children and work no longer consuming me lol
    I know thats a poor excuse but it is all I have, I can muttle thru a few things but.......I know you have children and work too, and are a genius at antiques!
    I envy those for instance Cheryl who is a brilliant whipper snapper

18. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

Love all the recent finds looks like shopping has been very very good

19. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Another aspect of family selling unique items for a song is that when you have seen those items for years and years they become ordinary and common unless mom and pop tell you over and over they are worth something. I almost fell victim to that mentality a few week ago at my garage sale. I was going to put two rather beat-up Chinese modern (1970s) chairs for $50 for the pair (I lifted from my mom for my first apt the 1980s) in my gsale. Last minute, I actually did a search and looked closely at them....turns out good condition ones sell in the $2,000 range. My pair even have Chinese import wax seals...never even noticed until I really looked.

20. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I wonder if the process used to create the iridescence is the same. They look so much like carnival, though I guess the pearl effect sets them apart.

The larger vase must be even more lovely!

Draft saved Draft deleted