Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Trip that owl is a beauty!
    nuff I like that Egyptian glass piece!
    A few goodies for me - the first is this creepy shell figure, I think will be Victorian time period, Hornsea Heirloom spice set, and this heavy brass? fireplace screen, design registration mark for 1900-01 DSC07199.jpg DSC07168.jpg DSC07027.jpg DSC07030.jpg

mymysharona43 and FunkeysFinds like this.
  2. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Cx:Weird shell man, i like his little shell landing he is standing on.

Nuff: I had to look Doccia-new word for me, interesting piece.

3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Cxgirl, although the man is creepy, I kind of like him!

4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol, he kind of grows on you - his face reminds me of Sy on Duck Dynasty.

5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

At least in the photo, he looks like a kindly but stern elder.

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Loving that brass screen !

7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

LOL -- I love the shell guy! Is that a halo or a hat on his head? ;)

8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks johnny, I do too!
    Hi Wendy, no halo, it is the brim of his hat. The hat was broken at some point, the top part is long gone and the glue just isn't sticking like it used to.

9. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

So nice to see the whole Hornsea set -- so often things like that are missing pieces.

10. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

LOVE that gorgeous owl! :kiss:

11. spirit-of-shiloh

The shell man looks like Joseph Merrick. :facepalm:

12. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Love that owl, trip!

13. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Thanks, CXgirl & Trip.

Trip, had no idea what it was until I found a similar example here: http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O334310/sweetmeat-dish-doccia-porcelain-factory/ New for me as well.

The small lot below cost just over $200...

Large 19th C. gilt and polychrome painted carved Balinese figure of Rangda and ??? (not sure who the figure is at right). I somewhat similar figure of Rangda can be found here: http://searchcollection.asianart.or...ate:flow=14506fa7-41c3-47ed-8f54-aee292abc0ba

19th or early-20th C. Meissen gilt and puce decorated plate.

A pair of Chinese 19th/early-20th C. blue etched Peking glass plates, and a bronze 1926 Chinese representation of the Liberty Bell (appears to have been made for the: 1926 Philadelphia Sesquicentennial Exposition).

First half of the 20th C. Chinese reverse painting on glass.

(3) 20th C. Chinese watercolor paintings (haven't researched as of yet).

Small lot of Chinese Republic (1912 - 1949) Period porcelain figures.

NEW FINDS Aug 001-001.JPG

NEW FINDS Aug 003-001.JPG

NEW FINDS Aug 004-001.JPG

NEW FINDS Aug 005-001.JPG

NEW FINDS Aug 006-001.JPG

NEW FINDS Aug 007-001.JPG

14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Great finds nuff - that reverse painted piece looks very nice!

mymysharona43 likes this.
  15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

'Nuff, wonderful items! I particularly like the portrait of the woman on glass.

mymysharona43 likes this.
  16. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

Yep she's a beauty! love her too
    Nice lot of finds!!! that plate is gorgeous and woo what a tongue NUFF SAID LOL

17. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Haven't had too many good finds lately, but I'm happy about these - cherry red prystal bakelite dress clips. Yay!

DSCF6554.JPG

18. spirit-of-shiloh

Nice finds everyone :)

19. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone!

Those reverse paintings sell for around $150 - $500 depending on the subject matter and how well they're executed.

The real prize in that lot above is the carved Balinese figure. It should be in a museum, not in our hands, but glad that's where it landed. The male figure sitting on lap looks to have once held a kris (dagger) in his left hand but it's now lost. IF authentic and of the period (which I believe it is), prices realized can reach into the mid-five-figures or more.

These lot numbers (40 - 83) show a number of authentic examples that sold at auction last year: http://www.deutscherandhackett.com/auctions/catalogues/123456942/

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...6187&sid=541416ca-ab34-4f80-9ff4-65a62fc380e0

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  20. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know if a find in my house counts, but it came from a local estate sale a few years ago and I forgot about it...

While cleaning my near-Hoarders computer room I found the paper seen here. After looking for information about Frederick Schwatka on Ancestry and a newspaper database to which I subscribe I found that we was, during his lifetime, a world-famous explorer who, among other things, went into the Arctic to retrieve the "skeletons of Sir John Franklin's party." He made expeditions to Mexico and uncovered heretofore unknown relics of Aztec civilization, he explored the length of the Yukon River and wrote books about it. I found a book about his Yukon exploration online HERE.

One of his obits noted that he was in Olympia WA in the summer of 1892 (the date of this note) to take Keeley's cure for intoxication.

I would like to donate the paper to an appropriate institution, but I am not sure where the best repository is. The University of Alaska? The Olympia WA state museum? I would welcome your suggestions.

EskimosFrederickSchwatka1892Sm.jpg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    spirit-of-shiloh and elarnia like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted