Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Astounding!
    And encouraging... always be on the lookout... these things DO happen!

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I put it in to my shop at $125.00 thinking to make a quick sale. Still sitting there now two weeks later. ...... Meanwhile, this desk came in the same day to another dealer's booth. Asking price $175.00 and sold quickly. ....... Guess I don't really know what I am doing at all. :sour::confused::(

desk.jpg
    desk2.jpg

I seriously thought about painting my desk but it is solid beautiful cherry and couldn't do it. Never would I think of doing to a desk what has been done to the one above with the mismatched handles, wrapping paper drawer fronts, and tongue and groove pine top. It really could not be used for writing and what kind of decor would this fit in to? Obviously, someone thought it was just great. :wacky:

3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

......and it's worth-ish.........................

4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Brad - I'm all for repurposing, and not really opposed to altering and/or painting crummy factory-made furniture - but that desk has to be one of the fugliest things I've seen...

~Cheryl

5. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

have this to show for today's thrift buy
    DSC07680.JPG DSC07681.JPG

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

NICE dollhouse, and the bilingual box is a bonus. Not so fond of that fugly desk. Brad, maybe you need to jack the price of that cherry piece up to $300 and see what happens.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Marx is good! And still in the box! Score, Lloyd!

8. verybrad

I understand the thought but can't afford to take up the real estate with this desk much longer. At the high rent I pay, I need to move things in a fairly timely manner. If I would put this desk at $300.00 it would sit for an incredibly long time. :( I am better off to pull it and paint it but am not going to do so. I have too many other projects in the works to justify painting a desk that is beautiful as-is. I will probably end up discounting it below $100.00 if it has not sold by the 15th.

It is incredibly frustrating selling in today's market. What I have learned is that I am not going to buy any more nice furniture for resale. I really knew this but thought this a nice enough piece and at the right price to buck the trend. I needed something to fill space quickly and this seemed to be just the thing. Boy was I wrong.

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

:( Geez. If I were closer....

10. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I agree with Cheryl - that other desk is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen. It's absolutely repulsive - I'd love to talk to the person who bought it.

11. evelyb30

It's as bad as that Yankees stained glass. Let's go Mets!(LOL) Or Red Sox. Or anyone but the Evil Pinstripes. Just goes to show there's no accounting for tastes. Maybe the buyer was going to repaint the poor thing and de-uglify it. Structurally it was sound, but that decoration...I'd rather look at Yankees logos.

KingofThings likes this.
  12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol,I'll let that go right by evelyb:)
    I'm glad you won't be painting your desk Brad, it is too nice to cover up. I understand your frustration though, several folks here find the same thing - paint it and it goes out the door, nice wood and it hangs around.

Aquitaine, KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  13. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I'm glad you are not going to paint it; it is clearly much better made, and better wood, than most similar pieces of furniture. That might be why it is slow to sell; at first glance, a superficial buyer might miss the signs of quality. I wish you luck.

Aquitaine, KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  14. evelyb30

KingofThings and all_fakes like this.
  15. verybrad

having been in the new furniture business, I know. People who buy new quality furniture are a different breed than the antique/used furniture buyer. It is rarefied air that many furniture makers hope to tap in to. We used to make similar furniture to that in the link at 1/3 - 1/4 the price but still could not find enough buyers here. Not having the "name" didn't help. I sometimes see some of the furniture that came out of our factory pass through our group store here for pennies on the dollar.

16. lloyd249

going to take my picasso chair to the ~

DSC07684.JPG they have an ~

DSC07686.JPG

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  17. evelyb30

Worth a shot.

KingofThings and lloyd249 like this.
  18. lloyd249